Current:Home > StocksCharles H. Sloan-Steward Health Care files a lawsuit against a US Senate panel over contempt resolution -Elevate Capital Network
Charles H. Sloan-Steward Health Care files a lawsuit against a US Senate panel over contempt resolution
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 05:41:48
BOSTON (AP) — Steward Health Care CEO Ralph de la Torre filed a lawsuit Monday against a U.S. Senate committee that pursued contempt charges against him for failing to appear before the panel despite being issued a subpoena.
The Charles H. Sloanlawsuit, filed in federal court in Washington, named nearly all members of the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, including Sen. Bernie Sanders, who chairs the committee which has investigated Steward’s bankruptcy.
The lawsuit claims that the lawmakers are unlawfully violating de la Torre’s constitutional rights.
It alleges that the members of the committee, by trying to compel de la Torre to answer questions about Steward’s bankruptcy, are “collectively undertaking a concerted effort to punish Dr. de la Torre for invoking his Fifth Amendment right not to ‘be compelled . . . to be a witness against himself.’”
De la Torre is asking the court to declare that all actions related to enforcement of the subpoena are invalid and unconstitutional — including the vote of the committee on Sept. 19 approving the criminal contempt resolution and its decision to present the resolution to the full Senate for a vote.
The Senate approved the resolution last week.
“No one can be compelled to testify when they exercise this right under these circumstances. Nor does the Constitution permit Congress to punish and intimidate him, or any other American, for exercising these rights,” William “Bill” Burck, a lawyer for de la Torre, said in a written statement.
The lawsuit comes a day before de la Torre is set to step down as CEO of Steward.
De la Torre has overseen Steward’s network of some 30 hospitals around the country. The Texas-based company’s troubled recent history has drawn scrutiny from elected officials in New England, where some of its hospitals are located.
A spokesperson for de la Torre said Saturday that he “has amicably separated from Steward on mutually agreeable terms” and “will continue to be a tireless advocate for the improvement of reimbursement rates for the underprivileged patient population.”
Sanders said earlier this month that Congress “will hold Dr. de la Torre accountable for his greed and for the damage he has caused to hospitals and patients throughout America.”
Steward has shut down pediatric wards in Massachusetts and Louisiana, closed neonatal units in Florida and Texas, and eliminated maternity services at a hospital in Florida.
Democratic Sen. Edward Markey of Massachusetts said that over the past decade, Steward, led by de la Torre, and its corporate enablers, “looted hospitals across the country for profit, and got rich through their greedy schemes.”
Alexander Merton, an attorney for de la Torre, has said the fault instead lies with “the systemic failures in Massachusetts’ health care system” and that the committee was trying to frame de la Torre as a criminal scapegoat. Merton has also said that de la Torre would agree to testify at a later date.
On Friday, Massachusetts Gov. Maura Healey announced her administration had formally seized a hospital through eminent domain to help keep it open and transition to a new owner. St. Elizabeth Medical Center in Boston was one of a group run by Steward. Operations will be transferred to Boston Medical Center.
Two other Steward-operated hospitals in Massachusetts were forced to close after qualified buyers could not be found during the bankruptcy process.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- A steeplechase record at the 2024 Paris Olympics. Then a proposal. (He said yes.)
- With the funeral behind them, family of the firefighter killed at the Trump rally begins grieving
- Kevin Costner’s ‘Horizon: An American Saga-Chapter 2’ gets Venice Film Festival premiere
- Natalie Portman, Serena Williams and More Flip Out in the Crowd at Women's Gymnastics Final
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Inheritance on hold? Most Americans don't understand the time and expense of probate
- 4 people and 2 dogs die in a house fire near Tampa
- Meyerbeer’s ‘Le Prophète’ from 1849 sounds like it’s ripped-from-the-headlines at Bard SummerScape
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Green Day setlist: All the Saviors Tour songs
Ranking
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- DUIs and integrity concerns: What we know about the deputy who killed Sonya Massey
- Jax Taylor Enters Treatment for Mental Health Struggles After Brittany Cartwright Breakup
- The Latest: Project 2025’s director steps down, and Trump says Harris ‘doesn’t like Jewish people’
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Dylan and Cole Sprouse’s Suite Life of Zack & Cody Reunion With Phill Lewis Is a Blast From the Past
- 2024 Olympics: Team USA Wins Gold at Women’s Gymnastics Final
- Horoscopes Today, July 30, 2024
Recommendation
Billy Bean was an LGBTQ advocate and one of baseball's great heroes
Olympics 2024: Why Jordan Chiles Won’t Compete in the Women’s Gymnastics All-Around Final
Double victory for Olympic fencer competing while seven months pregnant
Minnesota attorney general seeks to restore state ban on people under 21 carrying guns
Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
Anna Netrebko to sing at Palm Beach Opera gala in first US appearance since 2019
US suspends $95 million in aid to Georgia after passage of foreign agent law that sparked protests
Team USA Olympic athletes are able to mimic home at their own training facility in France