Current:Home > MarketsEthermac Exchange-61,000 gun safes recalled for security issue after report of 12-year-old child's death -Elevate Capital Network
Ethermac Exchange-61,000 gun safes recalled for security issue after report of 12-year-old child's death
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-07 07:28:33
Federal safety regulators are Ethermac Exchangerecalling tens of thousands of gun safes after they say a child died accessing a firearm inside of one.
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and Fortress Safe, the recall involves about 61,000 biometric gun safes because of a safety hazard and risk of death caused by a programming feature that, in more than three dozen instances, allowed unauthorized access to the safes.
The recalled safes, which were made in China, were imported and distributed by Xpedition LLC, dba Fortress Safe, of Naperville, Illinois.
"Consumers can believe they have properly programmed the biometric feature when in fact the safe remains in the default to open mode, which can allow unauthorized users, including children, to access the safe to remove hazardous contents, including firearms," the CPSC posted in its Thursday recall.
One death, 39 incidents of 'unpaired' fingerprint access
So far, CPSC said, at least one death has been tied to the issue that prompted the recall.
The agency said "it is aware of a recent lawsuit" claiming a 12-year-old boy died from a firearm obtained from one of the recalled safes. The CPSC did not release additional details about the child's death.
As of Thursday, the agency said, there had been 39 incidents of consumers reporting their safes were accessed by "unpaired" fingerprints.
Drug, medical device recall:Family Dollar issues huge recall for over-the-counter drugs, medical devices in 23 states
Which gun safes are being recalled?
The CPSC reported the recalled gun safes are portable lock boxes, personal safes, pistol vaults, and gun cabinets with brand names Fortress, Cabela’s, Gettysburg, and Legend Range & Field.
Nine models are being recalled:
- Model #11B20: Fortress Portable Safe with Biometric Lock
- Model #44B10: Fortress Personal Safe with Pop up door and Biometric Lock
- Model #44B10L: Legend Range & Field Personal Safe with Pop up door and Biometric Lock
- Model #44B20: Fortress Medium Personal Safe with Biometric Lock
- Model #55B20: Fortress Quick Access Safe with Biometric Lock
- Model #55B30: Fortress Large Quick Access Safe with Biometric Lock
- Model #55B30G: Gettysburg Large Quick Access Safe with Biometric Lock
- Model #4BGGBP: Cabela’s 4 Gun Safe with Biometric Lock
- Model #55B30BP: Cabela’s Biometric Personal Safe
Where were the recalled gun safes sold?
Safes being recalled were sold at the following stores: Bass Pro Shops, Cabela’s, Scheel’s, Sportsman’s Guide, Optics Planet, Dick’s Sporting Goods, Gander, Rural King, Lowe’s and online at Amazon.com and Ebay.com.
Retailers sold the safes, manufactured in China, from January 2019 through this month.
The safes sold between $44 and $290, the CPSC reported.
Check car recalls here:Ford and Mercedes-Benz among nearly 250,000 vehicles recalled
How do I get a replacement gun safe?
Consumer should "immediately stop using the biometric feature, remove the batteries from the safe, and only use the key for the recalled safes being used to store firearms," the agency said.
For instructions on how to disable the biometric feature and get a free replacement safe contact Fortress Safes.
Natalie Neysa Alund is a senior reporter for USA TODAY. Reach her at [email protected] and follow her on X @nataliealund.
veryGood! (899)
Related
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Many Americans have bipolar disorder. Understand the cause, treatment of this condition.
- Greek author Vassilis Vassilikos, whose political novel inspired award-winning film ‘Z,’ dies at 89
- Coup leader Guy Philippe repatriated to Haiti as many question his next role in country in upheaval
- What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
- After hearing, judge mulls extending pause on John Oates’ sale of stake in business with Daryl Hall
- Work resumes on $10B renewable energy transmission project despite tribal objections
- Meadow Walker Pays Tribute to Dad Paul Walker With Sweet Video 10 Years After His Death
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- University of Minnesota Duluth senior defensive lineman dies of genetic heart condition
Ranking
- From bitter rivals to Olympic teammates, how Lebron and Steph Curry became friends
- Seven Top 10 hits. Eight Grammys. 'Thriller 40' revisits Michael Jackson's magnum opus
- Former Marine pleads guilty to firebombing Southern California Planned Parenthood clinic in 2022
- Myanmar’s military is losing ground against coordinated nationwide attacks, buoying opposition hopes
- Messi injury update: Ankle 'better every day' but Inter Miami star yet to play Leagues Cup
- Meadow Walker Pays Tribute to Dad Paul Walker With Sweet Video 10 Years After His Death
- Mom convicted of killing kids in Idaho taken to Arizona in murder conspiracy case
- 3 die in Maine when car goes in wrong direction on turnpike, hitting 2 vehicles
Recommendation
The 'Rebel Ridge' trailer is here: Get an exclusive first look at Netflix movie
Could advertisers invade our sleep? 'Dream Scenario' dives into fears, science of dreaming
Former ambassador and Republican politician sues to block Tennessee voting law
Live updates | More Israeli hostages and Palestinian prisoners are released under truce
Billy Bean was an LGBTQ advocate and one of baseball's great heroes
Country music star to perform at Kentucky governor’s inauguration
3 die in Maine when car goes in wrong direction on turnpike, hitting 2 vehicles
Paste Magazine acquires Jezebel, plans to relaunch it just a month after it was shut down by G/O Media