Current:Home > MyNew Jersey OKs two new offshore wind farms that would be farther from shore and beachgoers’ view -Elevate Capital Network
New Jersey OKs two new offshore wind farms that would be farther from shore and beachgoers’ view
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-07 03:14:34
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP) — Stung by the pullout of the world’s largest offshore wind developer from two projects off the New Jersey coast last fall, state energy regulators on Wednesday approved two new wind farm projects, saying they remain committed to making the state a leader in the nascent industry.
Both the projects chosen by the state Board of Public Utilities would be considerably farther offshore than earlier projects that generated significant opposition from onshore communities, one of whose concerns was that the turbines would be visible on the horizon from the beach.
The board chose projects called Leading Light Wind and Attentive Energy, which together would generate enough electricity to power 1.8 million homes, the board’s president, Christine Guhl-Sadovy said. But in statements announcing their applications last year, the companies gave a combined total of 1.6 million homes, slightly less than the number given by state officials.
Damian Bednarz, managing director of Attentive Energy, said his company’s project would be built 42 miles (67 kilometers) off Seaside Heights and would not be visible from the shoreline.
“We are over the curvature of the Earth,” he said.
The action brings the state’s total of preliminarily approved offshore wind projects to three — the same level it was at before Danish wind developer Orsted scrapped its two wind farms proposed for the state’s southern coast in October.
Tim Sullivan, CEO of the New Jersey Economic Development Authority, said Wednesday’s approvals came “despite the challenges we experienced last fall.”
“As of today, New Jersey and Gov. (Phil) Murphy are back on our front foot in terms of offshore wind,” he said.
The projects join Atlantic Shores, a previously approved wind farm.
One of the projects chosen Wednesday is from Chicago-based Invenergy and New York-based energyRE. Called Leading Light Wind, it would be built 40 miles (64 kilometers) off Long Beach Island and would consist of up to 100 turbines, enough to power 1 million homes.
“New Jersey’s selection of an American-led project is a tremendous step forward for the growth of the domestic offshore wind industry,” the companies said in a statement. “We are reviewing the order from the BPU and look forward to the opportunity to continue our work with the state and our many community partners to deliver a responsibly developed project that advances New Jersey’s clean energy transition.”
The other project, Attentive Energy, would provide enough electricity to power 600,000 homes.
The board said the cost impacts of the new projects would add $6.84 a month to the average residential customer’s bill; $58.73 a month to the average commercial bill and $513.22 a month to the average industrial bill. The higher charges would not take effect until the projects are providing power to the electrical grid, in 2031 and 2032, the board said.
Leading Light promises $94 million in direct assistance to 200,000 low-income households to cut the monthly increase due to the projects in half.
Environmental and business groups hailed the moves.
“Today’s NJBPU award brings the reality of offshore wind off the Jersey Shore one step closer, and it will build a future where wind can power our state’s economy and help us to transition off fossil fuels,” said Doug O’Malley, director of Environment New Jersey. “The wind off the Jersey Shore and especially in the New York Bight remains as strong as ever; it’s time to harness the wind to fight climate change.”
“This is the future and we can either fall behind or stay ahead,” said Anjuli Ramos, director of the New Jersey Sierra Club. “I’m happy we’ve chosen the latter.”
Clean Ocean Action, which is virtually alone among the state’s major environmental groups in calling for the projects to be canceled, said the state’s action “is irresponsible and reckless, and puts the ocean at risk.”
And Robin Shaffer, president of Protect Our Coast New Jersey, an anti-wind farm group, called the state’s action “a disgraceful breach of the BPU’s responsibility to protect New Jersey consumers.”
He said the state shows “a bias in favor of an industry that is literally collapsing economically. As we witnessed last year, several large offshore wind energy enterprises fell apart along the eastern seaboard due to a rising tide of opposition by grassroots organizations, high inflation and supply chain issues. Without billions of dollars in tax and ratepayer subsidies, offshore wind projects simply aren’t viable.”
William Sproule, executive secretary-treasurer of the Eastern Atlantic States Regional Council of Carpenters, looked forward to the jobs the projects will provide to his union’s members.
“Our union is prepared to supply our trained union carpenters, commercial divers, pile drivers and millwrights to build this new energy industry safely and professionally,” he said.
The state plans to solicit another round of wind farm proposals in the first half of this year.
___
Follow Wayne Parry on X, formerly Twitter, at https://twitter.com/WayneParryAC.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Charges: D'Vontaye Mitchell died after being held down for about 9 minutes
- Banning same-sex marriage is unconstitutional, a Japanese high court rules
- Banning same-sex marriage is unconstitutional, a Japanese high court rules
- TikTok ban would hit many users where it hurts — their pocketbook
- Taylor Swift Cancels Austria Concerts After Confirmation of Planned Terrorist Attack
- Drew Barrymore, those menopause supplements she's raving about and what experts want you to know
- North Korea says Kim Jong Un test drove a new tank, urged troops to complete preparations for war
- Man shot with his own gun, critically wounded in fight aboard New York City subway, police say
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Kacey Musgraves offers clear-eyed candor as she explores a 'Deeper Well'
Ranking
- Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
- Arizona Coyotes cleared to bid for tract of land in north Phoenix for new arena site
- Starbucks faces lawsuit for tacking on charge for nondairy milk in drinks
- Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin says he won’t support a budget that raises taxes
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Cable TV providers will have to show total cost of subscriptions, FCC says
- Mississippi ballot initiative process faces narrowing path to being restored
- California could ban Flamin' Hot Cheetos and other snacks in schools under new bill
Recommendation
DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
Men's pro teams have been getting subsidies for years. Time for women to get them, too.
Michael Jackson’s Son Bigi “Blanket” Jackson’s Rare Outing Will Make You Feel Old
Apple to pay $490 million to settle allegations that it misled investors about iPhone sales in China
What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
Truck driver charged with negligent homicide in deadly super fog 168-car pileup in Louisiana
Climate protestors disrupt 'An Enemy of the People' while Michael Imperioli stayed in character
Michigan fires basketball coach, 'Fab Five' legend Juwan Howard after five seasons