Current:Home > NewsThe damage to a Baltic undersea cable was ‘purposeful,’ Swedish leader says but gives no details -Elevate Capital Network
The damage to a Baltic undersea cable was ‘purposeful,’ Swedish leader says but gives no details
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-07 03:22:30
STOCKHOLM (AP) — The damage to a telecommunications cable running under the Baltic Sea between Sweden and Estonia was “purposeful,” Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson said Tuesday but declined to be drawn on the details.
“We will not be more precise than that as of today,” Kristersson said at a press conference, after Swedish divers had investigated the seabed.
A spokesman for the Swedish Navy, Jimmie Adamsson, told Swedish public broadcaster SVT that “we see seabed tracks nearby, but we don’t know if it’s deliberate or an accident.”
On Oct. 17, Sweden reported damage to an undersea telecommunications cable that authorities believe occurred at the same time as damage to an undersea gas pipeline and telecom cable between Finland and Estonia. Swedish Civil Defense Minister Carl-Oskar Bohlin said at the time that the cause of the damage was unclear, adding that it was “not a total cable break” but “a partial damage.”
NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg told the press conference Tuesday with Kristersson that member countries have “tens of thousands of kilometers of internet cables, of gas pipelines over power cables, all the oil pipelines crossing the Baltic Sea, the North Sea, the Atlantic, the Mediterranean and of course, these types of undersea critical infrastructure is vulnerable.”
The military alliance was working “closely with the private sector,” Stoltenberg said, because “most of this critical infrastructure is owned by private companies, operated by private companies.”
In June, NATO launched a new center for protecting undersea pipelines and cables following the still-unsolved apparent attack on the Nord Stream gas pipelines in the Baltic Sea in early 2022, amid concern Russia is mapping vital Western infrastructure for energy and the internet in waters around Europe.
On Oct. 8, Finnish and Estonian gas system operators said they noted an unusual drop in pressure in the Balticconnector pipeline — between Estonia and Finland — after which they shut down the gas flow. Two days later, the Finnish government said there was damage both to the gas pipeline and to a telecommunications cable between the two NATO countries.
“We haven’t any final conclusion on or assessment about exactly who is behind (the damage on the Sweden-Estonia cable) or whether this was intentional or not. But the NATO, together with Finland, Estonia and Sweden, are working to establish the facts. Before they are established, I’m not going to (go into) any details,” Stoltenberg said.
Estonia has said that the disruption to the Swedish-owned cable was just off the northern part of the Baltic country.
Last week, Finland’s National Bureau of Investigation - a unit of Finnish police known by its acronym NBI - said the damage on the Balticconnector pipeline in the Gulf of Finland had been caused by “an external mechanical force” and not by an explosion.
NBI said it has now focused its investigation on checking the role of a Hong Kong-flagged container vessel, saying its movements coincided with the pipeline damage. The agency said it was also probing “an extremely heavy object” that was found on the seabed.
veryGood! (87)
Related
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- The UN’s top tech official discusses AI, bringing the world together and what keeps him up at night
- AI Intelligent One-Click Trading: Innovative Experience on WEOWNCOIN Exchange
- Fact checking 'Cassandro': Is Bad Bunny's character in the lucha libre film a real person?
- How breaking emerged from battles in the burning Bronx to the Paris Olympics stage
- Trump criticized by rivals for calling 6-week abortion ban a terrible thing
- College football Week 4 highlights: Ohio State stuns Notre Dame, Top 25 scores, best plays
- Horoscopes Today, September 23, 2023
- Vance jokes he’s checking out his future VP plane while overlapping with Harris at Wisconsin airport
- Aid shipments and evacuations as Azerbaijan reasserts control over breakaway province
Ranking
- Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
- Biden administration announces $1.4 billion to improve rail safety and boost capacity in 35 states
- Past high-profile trials suggest stress and potential pitfalls for Georgia judge handling Trump case
- South Korea breezes through first day of League of Legends competition in Asian Games esports
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- WEOWNCOIN: The Fusion of Cryptocurrency and the Internet of Things—Building the Future of the Smart Economy
- The Secrets of Catherine Zeta-Jones and Michael Douglas' Enduring Love
- Family of Black high school student suspended for hairstyle sues Texas officials
Recommendation
Illinois governor calls for resignation of sheriff whose deputy fatally shot Black woman in her home
WEOWNCOIN: Ethereum—The Next Generation Platform for Smart Contracts
Usher to headline the 2024 Super Bowl halftime show in Las Vegas
Deion Sanders' message after Colorado's blowout loss at Oregon: 'You better get me right now'
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Horoscopes Today, September 23, 2023
Surprise! Bob Dylan shocks Farm Aid crowd, plays three songs with the Heartbreakers
Facial recognition technology jailed a man for days. His lawsuit joins others from Black plaintiffs