Current:Home > StocksAuthorities say Puerto Rico policeman suspected in slaying of elderly couple has killed himself -Elevate Capital Network
Authorities say Puerto Rico policeman suspected in slaying of elderly couple has killed himself
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-07 04:40:45
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — A Puerto Rican police officer identified as the suspect in the gruesome slaying of an elderly couple that shocked the U.S. territory killed himself early Monday, authorities said.
José Miguel Centeno Sánchez worked at a police station in the northwest town of Aguadilla and had been hired by the couple as a handyman, Police Commissioner Antonio López said in a news conference.
López said Centeno died by suicide around dawn on Monday when officers arrived at his home to serve a search warrant.
“For us, Centeno Sánchez was never a real police officer, and does not represent any of our more than 11,000 police officers committed to protecting the life and property of our citizens,” López said.
The couple slain earlier this month in the northwest coastal town of Isabela was identified as Idelfonso Janeiro Rodríguez, 83, and Angélica Adorno Cruzado, 77. Authorities said they were bound, gagged and shot in the head, adding that they suspected robbery as the motive.
At least 386 people have been reported killed so far this year in the U.S. territory of 3.2 million people, compared with 477 reported slain last year in the same time period.
veryGood! (96)
Related
- Olympic women's basketball bracket: Schedule, results, Team USA's path to gold
- Trump and 3 of his adult children will soon testify in fraud trial, New York attorney general says
- Talks on Ukraine’s peace plan open in Malta with officials from 65 countries — but not Russia
- Matthew Perry Dead at 54: Olivia Munn, Rumer Willis and More Stars React
- Olympic men's basketball bracket: Results of the 5x5 tournament
- Travis Kelce Dances to Taylor Swift's Shake It Off at the World Series
- More help arrives in Acapulco, and hurricane’s death toll rises to 39 as searchers comb debris
- 5 children die in boat accident while on school outing to Kenya amusement park
- New Orleans mayor’s former bodyguard making first court appearance after July indictment
- 'Friends' star Matthew Perry, sitcom great who battled addiction, dead at 54
Ranking
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Video game adaptation ‘Five Nights at Freddy’s’ notches $130 million global debut
- It's been one year since Elon Musk bought Twitter. Now called X, the service has lost advertisers and users.
- Russians commemorate victims of Soviet repression as a present-day crackdown on dissent intensifies
- Family of explorer who died in the Titan sub implosion seeks $50M-plus in wrongful death lawsuit
- At least one killed and 20 wounded in a blast at convention center in India’s southern Kerala state
- Heidi Klum's Jaw-Dropping Costumes Prove She's the Queen of Halloween
- In Mississippi, most voters will have no choice about who represents them in the Legislature
Recommendation
Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
U.S. military finishes renaming bases that previously honored Confederates
RHOC's Shannon Beador Charged With DUI and Hit-and-Run One Month After Arrest
Russia accuses Ukraine of damaging a nuclear waste warehouse as the battle for Avdiivika grinds on
Bodycam footage shows high
Maine embarks on healing and searches for answers a day after mass killing suspect is found dead
UAW reaches tentative deal with Chrysler parent Stellantis to end 6-week strike
Russians commemorate victims of Soviet repression as a present-day crackdown on dissent intensifies