Current:Home > InvestWhy Chris Pratt and Katherine Schwarzenegger Are Facing Backlash Over Demolishing a Los Angeles Home -Elevate Capital Network
Why Chris Pratt and Katherine Schwarzenegger Are Facing Backlash Over Demolishing a Los Angeles Home
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-07 03:02:48
Chris Pratt and Katherine Schwarzenegger are being accused of not guarding the galaxy history.
The Guardians of the Galaxy star and children's book author faced backlash after it was revealed they planned to demolish an architecturally historic Los Angeles home they purchased less than a year ago, according to permit reports obtained by Robb Report.
Named the Zimmerman House, the home was bought off-market by Chris, 44, and Katherine, 34, in early 2023 for $12.5 million. Shortly after, the couple—who share kids Lyla Maria, 3, and Eloise Christina, 23 months—submitted a proposal to tear down the property and begin construction on a new home.
And the new build is reportedly a complete overhaul of the original structure, which was originally a one-story midcentury building. After all, the documents showed that the home will be designed by L.A. architect Ken Ungar—best known for his modern farmhouse style—and features two stories with a backyard swimming pool and pool house, per the Robb Report.
Naturally, not everyone was happy about Chris—who also shares son Jack Pratt, 11, with ex-wife Anna Faris—and Katherine's construction plans, with many preservationists and architecture enthusiasts expressing their anger over social media.
"Unbelievable the notoriously onerous City of LA [that] doesn't allow anyone to do anything that makes actual sense," realtor Julie Chang wrote on X (formerly known as Twitter), "allowed this midcentury modern house to be TORN DOWN."
Designer David Hill seconded the sentiment, writing, "It's sad to see icons of modernism needlessly destroyed by insensitive McMansion seekers."
As for what makes the Zimmerman House so historic? The Los Angeles Conservancy further explained the significance of its architecture after learning of Chris and Katherine's proposal to tear it down early last year.
"Designed by Emiel Becsky and working within architect Craig Ellwood's office," the conservancy wrote in a January 2023 Instagram post, "[Becsky] created a one-story, nearly 3,000 sq. ft. residence that appears to be highly intact and a noteworthy example of Modernist design from this era."
E! News reached out to Chris and Katherine's reps for comment but has not heard back.
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (623)
Related
- The GOP and Kansas’ Democratic governor ousted targeted lawmakers in the state’s primary
- For social platforms, the outage was short. But people’s stories vanished, and that’s no small thing
- Arizona’s health department has named the first statewide heat officer to address extreme heat
- Oversized Clothes That Won’t Make You Look Frumpy or Bulky, According to Reviewers
- A New York Appellate Court Rejects a Broad Application of the State’s Green Amendment
- United flight forced to return to Houston airport after engine catches fire shortly after takeoff
- Federal inquiry into abuse within the Southern Baptist Convention ends with no charges
- Police continue search for missing 3-year-old boy Elijah Vue in Wisconsin: Update
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Oklahoma panel denies clemency for death row inmate, paves way for lethal injection
Ranking
- Southern California rocked by series of earthquakes: Is a bigger one brewing?
- Kentucky man says lottery win helped pull him out of debt 'for the first time in my life'
- Embattled New York Community Bancorp announces $1B cash infusion
- U.N. says reasonable grounds to believe Hamas carried out sexual attacks on Oct. 7, and likely still is
- Meet 11-year-old skateboarder Zheng Haohao, the youngest Olympian competing in Paris
- Why Dean Phillips' primary challenge against Biden failed
- Minority-owned business agency discriminated against white people, federal judge says
- Four family members convicted in 2018 New Mexico compound case sentenced to life
Recommendation
US auto safety agency seeks information from Tesla on fatal Cybertruck crash and fire in Texas
Steely Dan keyboardist Jim Beard dies at 63 after sudden illness
Why are clocks set forward in the spring? Thank wars, confusion and a hunger for sunlight
Will Messi play in the Paris Olympics? Talks are ongoing, but here’s why it’s unlikely
New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
NYC man who dismembered woman watched Dexter for tips on covering up crime, federal prosecutors say
Funko Pop figures go to the chapel: Immortalize your marriage with these cute toys
Shake Shack giving away free sandwiches Monday based on length of Oscars telecast: What to know