Current:Home > MarketsCongo’s President Felix Tshisekedi is sworn into office following his disputed reelection -Elevate Capital Network
Congo’s President Felix Tshisekedi is sworn into office following his disputed reelection
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 09:35:30
KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — Congolese President Felix Tshisekedi was sworn in Saturday following a disputed December election, promising to unite the Central African country during his second five-year term and to protect lives in the conflict-hit eastern region.
“I am taking back the baton of command that you entrusted to me. We want a more united, stronger and prosperous Congo,” Tshikedi, 60, said during the inauguration ceremony attended by several heads of state. His first inauguration in 2019 marked Congo’s first democratic transfer of power since the country’s independence from Belgium in 1960.
Tshisekedi won reelection with more than 70% of the vote, according to the election commission. However, opposition candidates and their supporters questioned the validity of the election, which was mired in logistical problems.
Many polling stations were late in opening or didn’t open at all while some lacked materials. Voter turnout was 40%, the election commission said.
Congo’s constitutional court earlier this month rejected a petition by an opposition candidate to annul the election. The court ruled that malpractice allegations were unfounded and that Tshisekedi secured “a majority of votes cast.”
Opposition candidates asked their supporters to protest the president’s inauguration, though there were no signs of protests in the capital, Kinshasa, on Saturday.
Congo, a country of more than 100 million people, is blessed with sprawling mineral resources, but economic and security challenges have stifled its developments. One in four citizens faces crisis or emergency levels of food insecurity, according to U.N. statistics.
Eastern Congo continues to be ravaged by more than 120 armed groups seeking a share of resources such as gold and trying to protect their communities, some of them quietly backed by Congo’s neighbors. The violence, which has displaced nearly 7 million people, has included mass killings.
Analysts say peace and stability in eastern Congo is one of the country’s most pressing needs. The U.N. peacekeeping mission in the country is ending after more than two decades. Troops from an East African regional force are also departing.
“We expect from President Félix Tshisekedi, during his second term, many changes, particularly in the east, where thousands of citizens are still dying, to improve the situation of people and the functions of the state, and above all to improve the well-being and better being of Congolese,” Patrick Mbembe, 48, said in the capital.
Tshisekedi became president in 2019 after emerging from the shadow of his father, who was one of Congo’s most population figures. The presidency eluded Etienne Tshisekedi, but his 2017 death helped catapult his son into the limelight.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- UNLV releases video of campus shooter killed by police after 3 professors shot dead
- Messi injury update: Out for NYCFC match. Will Inter Miami star be ready for Monterrey?
- Men’s March Madness live updates: Sweet 16 predictions, NCAA bracket update, how to watch
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- The Texas attorney general is investigating a key Boeing supplier and asking about diversity
- PCE inflation report: Key measure ticks higher for first time since September
- Bad blood on Opening Day: Why benches cleared in Mets vs. Brewers game
- Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
- About 90,000 tiki torches sold at BJ's are being recalled due to a burn hazard
Ranking
- Olympic disqualification of gold medal hopeful exposes 'dark side' of women's wrestling
- PCE inflation report: Key measure ticks higher for first time since September
- Louis Gossett Jr., the first Black man to win a supporting actor Oscar, dies at 87
- Baltimore bridge collapse victim, father of three, was fighting for us always, wife tells WJZ
- $1 Frostys: Wendy's celebrates end of summer with sweet deal
- Is Taylor Swift Featured on Beyoncé’s New Album? Here’s the Truth
- Ariana Madix Announces Bombshell Next Career Move: Host of Love Island USA
- Terrence Shannon Jr. powers Illinois to Elite Eight amid controversy
Recommendation
Meet 11-year-old skateboarder Zheng Haohao, the youngest Olympian competing in Paris
Rebel Wilson lost her virginity at 35. That's nothing to be ashamed about.
Nate Oats channels Nick Saban's 'rat poison' talk as former Alabama football coach provides support
Tiki torches sold at BJ's recalled after reports of burn injuries
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Kim Kardashian's Son Psalm Shocks Fans With Grown Up Appearance in New Video
Mississippi’s ‘The W’ offers scholarships to students at soon-to-close Birmingham Southern
David Beckham welcomes Neymar to Miami. Could Neymar attend Messi, Inter Miami game?