Current:Home > MyUN will repatriate 9 South African peacekeepers in Congo accused of sexual assault -Elevate Capital Network
UN will repatriate 9 South African peacekeepers in Congo accused of sexual assault
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 05:21:39
LAGOS, Nigeria (AP) — The United Nations said it will repatriate nine peacekeepers from a South African contingent in eastern Congo who were accused of sexual assault and other abuse.
The U.N. decided to immediately repatriate the peacekeepers and a senior officer of the South African army “due to the seriousness of the allegations against them,” the organization said in a statement on Friday.
The senior officer allegedly tried to hinder a probe into the allegations and threatened other peacekeepers. Two other indicted senior officers will also be replaced, the U.N. said.
More than 12,000 U.N. peacekeepers are deployed in eastern Congo, where more than 100 armed groups are active.
The U.N. said its preliminary assessment found that the nine peacekeepers were “fraternizing after curfew hours” in prohibited bars where prostitution takes place. The soldiers were also alleged to have assaulted staff of the peacekeeping mission and the military police who were trying to arrest them, the statement added.
South African authorities have indicated their “full cooperation, in particular through the deployment of a national investigator,” the U.N. said, promising that victims would be assisted and that the peacekeeping mission would remain committed to upholding U.N. standards.
Such accusations of sexual abuse by U.N. peacekeepers are not new in various parts of the world, from Congo to Haiti where peacekeepers are deployed. The victims in many instances are children.
The abuses are particularly rampant in Congo, which accounted for one-third of the nearly 2,000 sexual abuse and exploitation complaints made against the U.N. worldwide in 2017.
The U.N. has also been accused of not doing enough in handling such allegations. Last year, Secretary-General António Guterres said the organization has “not succeeded in all respects, but neither have we stood still” in handling the sexual abuse crisis.
veryGood! (484)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Golden Globes 2024 Nominations: All the Snubs and Surprises From Taylor Swift to Selena Gomez
- India’s Supreme Court upholds government’s decision to remove disputed Kashmir’s special status
- 1 killed in house explosion in upstate New York
- Olympic disqualification of gold medal hopeful exposes 'dark side' of women's wrestling
- Embattled wolves gain a new frontier in Democratic Colorado. The move is stoking political tensions
- White House OMB director Shalanda Young says it's time to cut a deal on national security
- Congo’s president makes campaign stop near conflict zone and blasts Rwanda for backing rebels
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- At COP28, Indigenous women have a message for leaders: Look at what we’re doing. And listen
Ranking
- How effective is the Hyundai, Kia anti-theft software? New study offers insights.
- Former Titans TE Frank Wycheck, key cog in 'Music City Miracle,' dies after fall at home
- Hilary Duff pays tribute to late 'Lizzie McGuire' producer Stan Rogow: 'A very special person'
- Trump says he won’t testify again at his New York fraud trial. He says he has nothing more to say
- JoJo Siwa reflects on Candace Cameron Bure feud: 'If I saw her, I would not say hi'
- Teachers have been outed for moonlighting in adult content. Do they have legal recourse?
- Live updates | Israel says it’s prepared to fight for months to defeat Hamas
- Despite deflating OT loss, Rams don't hear death knell for playoff hopes
Recommendation
Vance jokes he’s checking out his future VP plane while overlapping with Harris at Wisconsin airport
Fire breaks out in an encampment of landless workers in Brazil’s Amazon, killing 9
Petrochemical giant’s salt mine ruptures in northeastern Brazil. Officials warn of collapse
2024 NFL draft first-round order: New York Giants factoring into top five
Matt Damon remembers pal Robin Williams: 'He was a very deep, deep river'
Elon Musk reinstates Sandy Hook conspiracy theorist Alex Jones' X account
BTS members RM and V begin mandatory military duty in South Korea as band aims for 2025 reunion
Ryan O'Neal, Oscar-nominated actor from 'Love Story,' dies at 82: 'Hollywood legend'