Current:Home > reviewsNew Hampshire jury finds state liable for abuse at youth detention center and awards victim $38M -Elevate Capital Network
New Hampshire jury finds state liable for abuse at youth detention center and awards victim $38M
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-07 06:59:10
BRENTWOOD, N.H. (AP) — A New Hampshire jury awarded $38 million to the man who blew the lid off abuse allegations at the state’s youth detention center Friday, in a landmark case finding the state’s negligence allowed him to be beaten, raped and held in solitary confinement as a teen.
David Meehan went to police in 2017 and sued the state three years later. Since then, 11 former state workers have been arrested and more than 1,100 other former residents of the Youth Development Center in Manchester have filed lawsuits alleging physical, sexual and emotional abuse spanning six decades.
Meehan’s case was the first to go to trial, and the outcome could affect the criminal cases, the remaining lawsuits, and a separate settlement fund the state created as an alternative to litigation.
Over the course of the four-week trial, the state argued it was not liable for the conduct of “rogue” employees and that Meehan waited too long to sue. The defense also tried to undermine his credibility and said his case relied on “conjecture and speculation with a lot of inuendo mixed in.”
“Conspiracy theories are not a substitute for actual evidence,” attorney Martha Gaythwaite said in her closing statement Thursday.
Meehan’s attorneys accused the state of encouraging a culture of abuse marked by pervasive brutality, corruption and a code of silence.
“They still don’t get it,” David Vicinanzo said in his closing statement. “They don’t understand the power they had, they don’t understand how they abused their power and they don’t care.”
veryGood! (16)
Related
- Breaking debut in Olympics raises question: Are breakers artists or athletes?
- Shawn Johnson and Andrew East Want You to Know Their Marriage Isn't a Perfect 10
- Biden. Rolling Stones. Harrison Ford. Why older workers are just saying no to retirement
- Moderna-Merck vaccine cuts odds of skin cancer recurrence in half, study finds
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Why more women live in major East Coast counties while men outnumber them in the West
- Behind the sumptuous, monstrous craft of ‘Poor Things’
- 2-year-old Virginia girl dies after accidentally shooting herself at Hampton home: Police
- What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
- The Supreme Court refuses to block an Illinois law banning some high-power semiautomatic weapons
Ranking
- Tropical rains flood homes in an inland Georgia neighborhood for the second time since 2016
- Former Turkish soccer team president gets permanent ban for punching referee
- Starbucks debuts limited-time Merry Mint White Mocha for the holidays
- Americans agree that the 2024 election will be pivotal for democracy, but for different reasons
- Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
- Running is great exercise, but many struggle with how to get started. Here are some tips.
- 'The Crown' fact check: How did Will and Kate meet? Did the queen want to abdicate throne?
- Ex-FBI counterintelligence official gets over 4 years in prison for aiding Russian oligarch
Recommendation
Mega Millions winning numbers for August 6 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $398 million
Xcel Energy fined $14,000 after leaks of radioactive tritium from its Monticello plant in Minnesota
Rocket Lab plans to launch a Japanese satellite from the space company’s complex in New Zealand
Arkansas board suspends corrections secretary, sues over state law removing ability to fire him
Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
Apology letters by Sidney Powell and Kenneth Chesebro in Georgia election case are one sentence long
Rocket Lab plans to launch a Japanese satellite from the space company’s complex in New Zealand
Virginia court revives lawsuit by teacher fired for refusing to use transgender student’s pronouns