Current:Home > MySafeX Pro Exchange|Mel B's Ex-Husband Stephen Belafonte Files $5 Million Defamation Lawsuit Against Her -Elevate Capital Network
SafeX Pro Exchange|Mel B's Ex-Husband Stephen Belafonte Files $5 Million Defamation Lawsuit Against Her
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-07 06:40:21
Mel B and ex-husband Stephen Belafonte are not quite done saying goodbye.
Belafonte—who was married to Mel B (real name Melanie Brown) from 2007 to 2017—has filed a defamation lawsuit against the Spice Girls singer accusing her of spreading false information about him in the years since their divorce.
In his lawsuit,SafeX Pro Exchange filed in Southern District of Florida Court May 29 and obtained by E! News, Belafonte alleged that Brown, 49, "has spent the better part of the last decade engaging in a deliberate and wide-ranging campaign to cause him severe emotional distress and destroy his reputation."
"Ms. Brown has stopped at nothing to falsely charge [Belafonte] with crimes and horrific offenses," the lawsuit continued, "including physical beatings, rape, financial abuse, emotional abuse, sex trafficking, and illegal gun possession."
Belafonte, 49, further alleged that Brown's "campaign of abuse" has continued with the republishing of her book Brutally Honest earlier this year, "wherein Ms. Brown has leveraged her thirty years of fame to attack Mr. Belafonte in a malicious and vindictive global smear."
Belafonte also claimed the "Wannabe" singer—with whom he shares 12-year-old daughter Madison—"leveraged her celebrity status" for her own personal gain by turning herself into a "spokesperson for abuse victims" with her work as a charity ambassador for Women's Aid UK, a United Kingdom-based charity that aims to end domestic violence against women.
"More shockingly, Ms. Brown's egregious lies about Mr. Belafonte resulted in her appointment to the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (MBE), a British order of chivalry rewarding one's contributions to, among other things, charitable and welfare organizations," the lawsuit read. "When the cameras were off her, however, Ms. Brown waged a destructive campaign of abuse of her own, reaching nearly everyone around Mr. Belafonte's and their child's orbit."
The film producer said he "received hundreds of hate comments and messages on social media platforms, as well as threatening messages from strangers" as a result of Brown's statements, which he believes have "endangered his and his daughter's life."
Belafonte is seeking "no less than" $5 million, as well as punitive and exemplary damages, in his lawsuit. He is also requesting for Brown to stop publishing or speaking about him moving forward.
"The damage Mel B has done to my reputation and brand is enormous," Belafonte's rep Mike Paul said in a statement to E! News, "and I have diligently collected vital evidence and fact to prove Mel B is a liar and has been lying about me and others for many, many years, including her hurtful and damaging lies about abuse."
E! News has reached out to Brown's reps for comments but has not heard back.
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (212)
Related
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Former gaming executive sentenced to death in poisoning of billionaire Netflix producer in China
- Turn Your Bathroom Into a Spa-Like Oasis with These Essential Products from Amazon's Big Spring Sale
- Princess Kate has cancer and is asking for privacy – again. Will we finally listen?
- 'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
- Swiping on dating apps has turned into a career for some. Here's how they turned love into a job.
- March Madness Sweet 16 dates, times, TV info for 2024 NCAA Tournament
- The Capital One commercials with Charles Barkley, Samuel L. Jackson and Spike Lee ranked
- A steeplechase record at the 2024 Paris Olympics. Then a proposal. (He said yes.)
- A spring snow storm is taking aim at the Midwest as rain soaks parts of the East
Ranking
- Kehlani Responds to Hurtful Accusation She’s in a Cult
- Laurent de Brunhoff, ‘Babar’ heir and author, dies at age 98
- Body of woman with gunshot wounds found on highway in Grand Rapids
- Biden lauds them. Trump wants to restrict them. How driving an electric car got political
- RFK Jr. closer to getting on New Jersey ballot after judge rules he didn’t violate ‘sore loser’ law
- Adam Sandler has the script for 'Happy Gilmore' sequel, actor Christopher McDonald says
- Shop QVC's Free Ship Weekend & Save Big on Keurig, Dyson, Tile Bluetooth Trackers & More
- 2 crew members die during ‘incident’ on Holland America cruise ship
Recommendation
NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
Mega Millions winning numbers for March 22 drawing: Lottery jackpot soars to $977 million
USMNT Concacaf Nations League final vs. Mexico: How to stream, game time, rosters
How true is the movie on Shirley Chisholm, the first Black woman elected to Congress?
The Daily Money: Disney+ wants your dollars
Michigan hiring Florida Atlantic coach Dusty May as next men's basketball coach
BTW, The K-Beauty Products You've Seen All Over TikTok Are on Major Sale Right Now on Amazon
Mifepristone access is coming before the US Supreme Court. How safe is this abortion pill?