Current:Home > MarketsJudge grants MLB star Wander Franco permission to leave Dominican Republic amid sexual exploitation allegations -Elevate Capital Network
Judge grants MLB star Wander Franco permission to leave Dominican Republic amid sexual exploitation allegations
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-07 02:40:35
A Dominican judge on Friday ordered the conditional release of Tampa Bay Rays shortstop Wander Franco while he is investigated for allegations he had a brief relationship with a 14-year-old girl and gave her mother a small car and thousands of dollars in exchange for her consent, according to court documents obtained by The Associated Press.
The judge said Franco is allowed to leave the Dominican Republic but must return once a month to meet with authorities.
Franco, who was expected to be released early Saturday, did not speak to reporters after the hearing ended.
The 22-year-old All-Star is accused of commercial sexual exploitation and money laundering. The girl's 35-year-old mother faces the same charges as Franco. The AP is not naming the woman in order to preserve her daughter's privacy.
Franco, who was detained Monday in the northern province of Puerto Plata, hasn't been charged with any crimes. The judge has received a nearly 600-page document detailing the evidence that prosecutors gathered during a monthslong investigation.
The athlete's lawyers have not commented other than saying that Franco was "doing fine."
Prosecutors said the investigation began after they received an anonymous tip in July 2023 stemming from someone who saw a media post alluding to the relationship. The AP has not been able to verify the reported post.
Authorities accuse Franco of taking the minor away from her home in Puerto Plata in December 2022 and having a four-month relationship with her with consent from the girl's mother.
They accuse Franco of sending the mother monthly payments of $1,700 for seven months and buying her a car "in order to allow the relationship and let her go out with him wherever she wanted," according to the document, which quoted the girl.
The girl also was quoted as saying that she had demanded for a local digital media site to publish an item about her alleged relationship with the baseball player because she was "tired" of her mother, whom she accused of taking Franco's money and not sharing any of it with her.
Days later, Franco published a live video alleging it was a scheme to extort money from him, the document stated.
In September 2023, authorities raided the home of the girl's mother and seized 800,000 Dominican pesos ($13,700), as well as $68,500 they said was found hidden behind a frame. Another seizure at a different home found a guarantee certificate from a local bank for 2.1 million Dominican pesos ($36,000) that they said was delivered by Franco for the "commercial and sexual exploitation" of the girl.
In addition, they seized a Suzuki Swift worth $26,600, according to the document. Authorities noted that days before the car was bought, the teenager's mother had the equivalent of $821 in her bank account. The mother also bought property in Puerto Plata worth $36,000, they said.
Authorities also state that Franco's mother had sent money to the girl's mother, but she has not been charged in the case even though they said she got involved "to avoid traces of her son with the accused."
Franco arrived at a court in Puerto Plata on Friday morning and remained silent while being escorted through a group of journalists who peppered with him questions. The girl's mother, who works at a local bank and was wearing sunglasses, also declined comment as she was escorted to a courtroom.
Outside, a small group of young Dominican players donned in baseball attire gathered to support Franco, carrying posters that read, "Free Franco," and "We all are Franco."
Franco was having an All-Star season before being sidelined in August, when authorities in the Dominican Republic began investigating claims he had been in a relationship with a minor. Major League Baseball launched its own investigation, placing Franco on the restricted list on Aug. 14 before moving him to administrative leave on Aug. 22. Both investigations are ongoing.
Franco signed a $182 million, 11-year contract in 2021. His salary last year and this year is $2 million per season.
- In:
- Dominican Republic
- Tampa Bay Rays
- Sexual Misconduct
veryGood! (3984)
Related
- Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
- Facebook and TikTok block Russian state media in Europe
- Group aiming to defund disinformation tries to drain Fox News of online advertising
- Prince Harry claims Prince William reached settlement with Murdoch tabloids for large sum in hacking case
- A Georgia governor’s latest work after politics: a children’s book on his cats ‘Veto’ and ‘Bill’
- Perfect Match's Chloe Veitch Moves on From Shayne Jansen With Hockey Player Ivan Lodnia
- Kim Kardashian's SKIMS Drops 3 Head-Turning Swimsuit Collections
- Users beware: Apps are using a loophole in privacy law to track kids' phones
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- U.S. to send nuclear submarines to dock in South Korea for first time since 1980s
Ranking
- Mega Millions winning numbers for August 6 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $398 million
- Why Vanessa Hudgens Was Extremely Surprised By Fiancé Cole Tucker's Proposal
- New York attorney general launches probe of Twitch and Discord after Buffalo shooting
- Driverless taxis are coming to the streets of San Francisco
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Transcript: Rep. Nancy Mace on Face the Nation, April 30, 2023
- Will Elon Musk turn activist at Twitter?
- Grubhub offered free lunches in New York City. That's when the chaos began
Recommendation
Chief beer officer for Yard House: A side gig that comes with a daily swig.
Transcript: Rep. Nancy Mace on Face the Nation, April 30, 2023
2023 Coachella & Stagecoach Packing Guide: 24 Problem-Solving Beauty Products You Need To Beat the Heat
Meta rolls out more parental controls for Instagram and virtual reality
Plunge Into These Olympic Artistic Swimmers’ Hair and Makeup Secrets
As battle for Sudan rages on, civilian deaths top 500
4 reasons why social media can give a skewed account of the war in Ukraine
U.S. to send nuclear submarines to dock in South Korea for first time since 1980s