Current:Home > InvestRekubit Exchange:New York appeals court scales back bond due in Trump fraud case and sets new deadline -Elevate Capital Network
Rekubit Exchange:New York appeals court scales back bond due in Trump fraud case and sets new deadline
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 10:02:22
A New York appeals court ruled that former President Donald Trump does not have Rekubit Exchangeto come up with $464 million to appeal the judgment against him in his civil fraud trial, and must only provide a bond in the amount of $175 million.
At midnight Monday, the time had expired on the 30-day grace period that New York Attorney General Letitia James had allowed for Trump and his co-defendants to secure a bond as they pursue an appeal of the $464 million judgment in his New York civil fraud trial. In order to appeal the case, Trump had been obligated to obtain a bond in the amount of the judgment.
The appeals court stayed much of the judgment of the lower court, which in February ordered Trump and co-defendants to pay a financial penalty, known as disgorgement, that has reached nearly $465 million, including daily interest. The penalty is intended to claw back the amount Trump and his company benefited from the scheme.
Under the appellate ruling, Trump now has 10 days to come up with the $175 million bond. In addition to the financial portion of the lower court's decision, the appeals court stayed the three-year bars against Trump from applying for loans from New York financial institutions, the two-year prohibition against Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump from serving as officers or directors in New York companies and the permanent bar against former Trump Organization CFO Allen Weisselberg and controller Jeff McConney from serving in financial control positions in New York businesses.
The appeals court kept in place the lower court's order for an independent monitor to oversee the Trump Organization and the installation of a compliance director.
The office of the New York attorney general said in response to the ruling, "Donald Trump is still facing accountability for his staggering fraud. The court has already found that he engaged in years of fraud to falsely inflate his net worth and unjustly enrich himself, his family, and his organization. The $464 million judgment – plus interest – against Donald Trump and the other defendants still stands."
Trump released a statement on social media accepting the appeals court's ruling: "We will abide by the decision of the Appellate Division, and post either a bond, equivalent securities, or cash." He also lashed out at New York Attorney General Letitia James and Judge Arthur Engoron, saying their credibility "has been shattered."
"This also shows how ridiculous and outrageous Engoron's original decision was at $450 Million," Trump said. He also repeated that he "did nothing wrong."
If Trump produces the bond within 10 days, as he says he will, he'll have months to prepare, since arguments in the appeals case will not take place until at least after the appeals court's fall term begins in September. Trump must now perfect his appeal, which means making all the preparations necessary for the appeal and then getting case onto the court's calendar.
Jesse Zanger contributed to this report.
veryGood! (412)
Related
- Sam Taylor
- Caught on camera: Chunk the Groundhog turns a gardener's backyard into his private buffet
- Tennessee judges side with Nashville in fight over fairgrounds speedway
- Josh Duhamel Reveals Son Axl's Emotional Reaction to His Pregnancy With Audra Mari
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- A Chinese dissident in transit at a Taiwan airport pleads for help in seeking asylum
- Ex-FBI agent pleads guilty to concealing $225K loan from former Albanian official
- Judge to hear arguments for summary judgment in NY AG's $250M lawsuit against Trump
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Why Chris Olsen Is Keeping His New Boyfriend’s Identity a Secret
Ranking
- Boy who wandered away from his 5th birthday party found dead in canal, police say
- Massachusetts has a huge waitlist for state-funded housing. So why are 2,300 units vacant?
- Ukraine launched a missile strike on Russia’s Black Sea Fleet headquarters, Russian official says
- US wage growth is finally outpacing inflation. Many Americans aren't feeling it.
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Convicted sex offender back in custody after walking away from a St. Louis hospital
- The 'lifetime assignment' of love: DAWN reflects on 'Narcissus' and opens a new chapter
- Tropical Storm Ophelia tracker: Follow Ophelia's path towards the mid-Atlantic
Recommendation
Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
The Amazing Race of Storytelling: Search for story leads to man believed to be Savannah's last shoe shiner
Gavin Rossdale Shares Update on His and Gwen Stefani's Son Kingston's Music Career
Both parties rally supporters as voting begins in Virginia’s closely watched legislative elections
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Column: Coach Prime dominates the college football world. What might come next?
AP Week in Pictures: Latin America and Caribbean
US ambassador to Japan calls Chinese ban on Japanese seafood ‘economic coercion’