Current:Home > ScamsA Belgian bishop says the Vatican has for years snubbed pleas to defrock a pedophile ex-colleague -Elevate Capital Network
A Belgian bishop says the Vatican has for years snubbed pleas to defrock a pedophile ex-colleague
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 08:16:36
BRUSSELS (AP) — A prominent Belgian bishop on Wednesday criticized the Vatican for failing to defrock a former bishop who admitted sexually abusing children, saying it had led to massive frustration with the highest Roman Catholic authorities.
Disgraced bishop Roger Vangheluwe, who was brought down by a sexual abuse scandal 13 years ago, became a symbol in Belgium of the Roman Catholic church’s hypocrisy in dealing with abuse in its own ranks.
“We, the (Belgian) bishops, have been asking for years for a reaction. The letters are there, the discussions. All noted down in lists. When will we have a reaction? And why don’t we get one?” Johan Bonny, the bishop of Antwerp, said on broadcaster VRT’s website.
Vangheluwe shot to international infamy amid disclosures he had sexually abused his young nephew for over a dozen years when he was a priest and later a bishop. He later admitted he also abused a second nephew. The whole time, he made light of his crimes.
Reacting to a VRT series on child sexual abuse in the church, “Deserted by God,” Bonny said that even if the Belgian church authorities wanted to take more action against Vangheluwe, the Vatican stood in their way.
“I want to honestly say that our conference of bishops has been asking Rome to do this for years — through the nuncio (papal envoy) and directly in Rome,” Bonny said. “Last year in November during the visit of the bishops to Rome, we put it up for discussion again, and after the umpteenth time , Rome’s reaction is no different.”
The Associated Press has asked the Vatican for its reaction to Bonny’s remarks.
His acknowledgment underscores a popular belief that even if there is a willingness at grassroot level to take action, the higher echelons of the Roman Catholic hierarchy are too slow or loathe to take forceful action.
In Vangheluwe’s case, the scandal was compounded when it became clear that his superior, Cardinal Godfried Danneels, had approached one of the victims and sought to keep the scandal secret until the bishop retired.
Rumors of child sexual abuse by clergy in the overwhelmingly Roman Catholic nation of 11.5 million had been rampant for generations, affecting just about every Catholic school or parish. However, evidence was rare: instances were rarely punished and quickly suppressed until Vangheluwe’s case proved a watershed moment.
In the wake of the scandal, a special commission produced a report with harrowing accounts of Catholic clergy molesting hundreds of victims, some as young as two years old, and said the abuse led to at least 13 suicides. The head of the commission said in reality, the abuse was even worse but many victims could still not bring themselves to talk.
Despite his actions and a self-professed commitment to move “somewhere hidden” to contemplate his errors, Vangheluwe showed little remorse. While he gave up the Bruges bishopric, he refused to heed the many calls to leave the priesthood altogether.
In 2011, Vangheluwe spoke of his sexual abuse as “a little game,” that involved no “rough sex” and denied he was a pedophile since he “never felt the least attraction to a child.”
Trying to turn the victim into an accomplice, he said, “I had the strong impression that my nephew didn’t mind at all. To the contrary.”
He moved to central France to live in a Roman Catholic community, never having been officially punished for his crimes. He was never prosecuted by authorities because his actions exceeded the statute of limitations.
veryGood! (42125)
Related
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- 3 rescued, 1 sought in Lake Erie in Ohio after distress call, Coast Guard says
- To a defiant Biden, the 2024 race is up to the voters, not to Democrats on Capitol Hill
- Russia sentences U.S. man Robert Woodland to prison on drug charges
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- 'Sepia Bride' photography goes viral on social media, sparks debate about wedding industry
- New parents in Baltimore could get $1,000 if voters approve ‘baby bonus’ initiative
- 10-year veteran Kevin Pillar says he's likely to retire after 2024 MLB season
- Family of explorer who died in the Titan sub implosion seeks $50M-plus in wrongful death lawsuit
- Judge declines to throw out charges against Trump valet in classified documents case
Ranking
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Scorched by history: Discriminatory past shapes heat waves in minority and low-income neighborhoods
- Morgan Wallen should be forgiven for racial slur controversy, Darius Rucker says
- Marlon Wayans says he was wrong person to rob after home burglary
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Delaware judge refuses to dismiss lawsuit in battle over estate of the late pop icon Prince
- Powerball winning numbers for July 6 drawing: Jackpot now worth $29 million
- Davis Thompson gets first PGA Tour win at 2024 John Deere Classic
Recommendation
Carolinas bracing for second landfall from Tropical Storm Debby: Live updates
Hurricane watch issued for Beryl in Texas
Shelter-in-place order briefly issued at North Dakota derailment site, officials say
Tour de France rider fined for stopping to kiss wife during time trial
JoJo Siwa reflects on Candace Cameron Bure feud: 'If I saw her, I would not say hi'
Jobs report today: Economy added 206,000 jobs in June, unemployment at 4.1%
Hatch Baby recalls over 919,000 power adapters sold with sound machine due to shock hazard
Is a great gas station bathroom the key to uniting a divided America?