Current:Home > ContactMinnesota man is free after 16 years in prison for murder that prosecutors say he didn’t commit -Elevate Capital Network
Minnesota man is free after 16 years in prison for murder that prosecutors say he didn’t commit
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 06:23:05
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A Minnesota man was released from prison after serving 16 years for a murder he did not commit, a local prosecutor announced on Tuesday.
Jurors in 2009 found Edgar Barrientos-Quintana guilty of killing 18-year-old Jesse Mickelson in a drive-by shooting. He was sentenced to life in prison without parole. But after a three-year investigation, Attorney General Keith Ellison’s Conviction Review Unit in August released a damning report of Minneapolis police’s original investigation that also cited evidence supporting Barrientos-Quintana’s alibi.
A judge approved Barrientos-Quintana’s release last week.
“Nothing can give Mr. Barrientos-Quintana back those 16 years, and for that, we are so sorry,” Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty said in a statement on Tuesday. “Our hearts are also with the family of Jesse Mickelson over their irreparable loss. When the criminal legal system does not function ethically, it causes significant harm.”
In a Wednesday ruling vacating Barrientos-Quintana’s convictions and ordering his release, state court Judge John McBride found that Barrientos-Quintana did not receive a fair trial.
Barrientos-Quintana’s attorney failed to effectively represent him and prosecutors didn’t disclose favorable evidence, Moriarty said. Investigators also used coercive lineup tactics and interrogation tactics, resulting in unreliable eyewitness identifications, she added.
Security footage captured Barrientos-Quintana at a grocery story shortly before the shooting, and the attorney general’s office pointed to phone records not presented at trial that placed him at his girlfriend’s suburban apartment shortly after the shooting. The Conviction Review Unit determined that he could not have traveled to and from the crime scene in that time.
The reviewers also cast blame on police, who showed an old photo of Barrientos-Quintana with a shaved head to eyewitnesses who had described the suspect as being bald. Security footage showed Barrientos-Quintana had short, dark hair at the time of the shooting.
Barrientos-Quintana last month asked McBride to vacate his conviction based on Ellison’s report. In September, Moriarty revealed that Mickelson’s sisters believed Barrientos-Quintana to be innocent and supported his release.
veryGood! (52799)
Related
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Coach Steve Kerr endorses Kamala Harris for President, tells Donald Trump 'night night'
- Ranking the 10 best college football quarterbacks ahead of the season
- It's Al Roker's 70th birthday, and he got this advice from Oprah Winfrey
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- How Ben Affleck Hinted at Being Incompatible With Jennifer Lopez Months Before Split
- 3 ways you could reduce your Social Security check by mistake
- Savannah Chrisley Shares Email Mom Julie Chrisley Sent From Prison
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Small and affordable Jeep Cherokee and Renegade SUVs are returning
Ranking
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- The 10 college football coaches with the hottest hot seat entering this season
- Who was the DJ at DNC? Meet DJ Cassidy, the 'music maestro' who led the roll call
- Orson Merrick: A Journey Through Financial Expertise and Resilience
- What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
- Grapefruit-sized hail? Climate change could bring giant ice stones
- Georgia lawmaker urges panel to consider better firearms safety rules to deter child gun deaths
- Expelled Yale student sues women’s groups for calling him a rapist despite his acquittal in court
Recommendation
Report: Lauri Markkanen signs 5-year, $238 million extension with Utah Jazz
‘The fever is breaking': DeSantis-backed school board candidates fall short in Florida
Canada lynx confirmed in Vermont for 1st time since 2018
House of Villains Trailer Teases Epic Feud Between Teresa Giudice and Tiffany New York Pollard
Southern California rocked by series of earthquakes: Is a bigger one brewing?
Ranking the 10 best college football quarterbacks ahead of the season
Young adults are major targets for back-to-school scams. Here's how to protect yourself.
Millions of Americans face blistering temperatures as heat dome blankets Gulf Coast states