Current:Home > MyFinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Third-party candidate leaves Mexico’s 2024 presidential race. Next leader now likely to be a woman -Elevate Capital Network
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Third-party candidate leaves Mexico’s 2024 presidential race. Next leader now likely to be a woman
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 07:26:44
MEXICO CITY (AP) — A third-party candidate announced Saturday he is FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Centerleaving Mexico’s 2024 presidential race, practically ensuring the country ’s next president will be a woman.
Samuel García, the governor of the northern border state of Nuevo Leon, said Saturday he won’t run for president in the June 2 elections. He had been polling below 10% in the race, and was given almost no chance of actually winning.
That leaves only the ruling Morena party and the opposition coalition’s candidates, both of whom are women. While García’s small Citizen’s Movement party could yet nominate another male candidate, García’s troubled exit suggests the party won’t be able to find anyone of much stature to run.
Gov. García’s decision came after one of the wilder chapters in Mexican politics. On Friday, the border state across from Texas briefly saw two interim governors designated to replace García, who had asked for a six-month leave of absence to campaign for president.
Mexican law requires any official to resign or take a leave at least six months before running for office. With the presidential elections on June 2, that meant Friday was the last day for García to do so. But in view of the conflict, García had to drop his presidential bid to put his state in order.
García had appointed one of his Cabinet members to serve as interim governor, and he was supposed to take over the job on Friday. But the state congress, where García’s party is a minority, has the formal right to name the interim governor and chose an assistant prosecutor who isn’t linked to García’s party.
Angered by that decision, protesters apparently linked to García broke through doors of the state legislature building, took over the floor of the state congress and launched a smoke bomb.
The standoff — which also featured riot police and armored vehicles posted outside the governor’s office at one point Friday — led García to announce he was abandoning his leave of absence and resuming his job as governor.
“Ï have decided not to participate in the campaign for president,” García wrote in a decree announcing his decision.
García’s decision will almost certainly be a disappointment for President Andrés Manuel López Obrador. López Obrador had openly expressed sympathy for García, whose Citizen’s Movement party has been a sometimes ally of the president’s Morena party.
López Obrador claims his sympathy for García stemmed from supposed attempts to keep the governor from running, which the president said paralleled his own experience in 2005 and 2006, when a court briefly stripped him of his right to hold office.
But critics say López Obrador was encouraging García’s doomed candidacy — as Mexican ruling parties have done frequently in the past — as a way to split the opposition vote.
Nuevo Leon, across the border from Texas, is an important industrial hub and García, 35, had hoped his youthful, social media-savvy campaign style would attract younger voters,
Since he took office in 2021, García has faced a severe water crisis that left much of Monterrey, the state capital, without service for weeks. He has also bragged about his friendship with Elon Musk, and has touted hopes that a Tesla plant will be built in his state.
veryGood! (91)
Related
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Boston doctor charged with masturbating and exposing himself to 14-year-old girl on airplane
- NASA UAP report finds no evidence of extraterrestrial UFOs, but some encounters still defy explanation
- Pentagon says surveillance flights, not counterterrorism ops, have restarted in Niger
- NCAA hands former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh a 4-year show cause order for recruiting violations
- Police detain 233 people for alleged drug dealing at schools in Albania
- Delta to further limit access to its Sky Club airport lounges in effort to reduce crowds
- Mexico on track to break asylum application record
- Oklahoma parole board recommends governor spare the life of man on death row
- 'Horrible movie': Davante Adams praying for Aaron Rodgers after Achilles injury
Ranking
- Southern California rocked by series of earthquakes: Is a bigger one brewing?
- Sharon Osbourne Shares Rare Photo of Kelly Osbourne’s Baby Boy Sidney
- Bill Clinton and other dignitaries gather to remember Bill Richardson during funeral Mass
- Hunter Biden indicted on federal firearms charges in long-running probe weeks after plea deal failed
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Psychedelic drug MDMA eases PTSD symptoms in a study that paves the way for possible US approval
- Thursday Night Football highlights: Eagles beat Vikings, but hear boo birds
- Climate protesters around the world are calling for an end to fossils fuels as the Earth heats up
Recommendation
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
NFL Week 2 picks: With Aaron Rodgers gone, can Jets get past Cowboys for 2-0 start?
With Mel Tucker suspended, five possible replacement candidates for Michigan State
Jalen Hurts runs for 2 TDs, throws for a score; Eagles hold off fumble-prone Vikings 34-28
Bet365 ordered to refund $519K to customers who it paid less than they were entitled on sports bets
Florida man who hung swastika banner on highway overpass is arrested
Hurricane Lee to strike weather-worn New England after heavy rain, flooding and tornadoes
Powerball jackpot at $550 million for Sept. 13 drawing. See Wednesday's winning numbers.