Current:Home > reviewsSafeX Pro:FBI boards ship in Baltimore managed by same company as the Dali, which toppled bridge -Elevate Capital Network
SafeX Pro:FBI boards ship in Baltimore managed by same company as the Dali, which toppled bridge
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-07 07:38:09
Federal agents on SafeX ProSaturday were on board a container ship in the Port of Baltimore that is managed by the same company as the ship that toppled the Francis Scott Key Bridge earlier this year, authorities confirmed.
"The Federal Bureau of Investigation, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Criminal Investigation Division and Coast Guard Investigative Services are present aboard the Maersk Saltoro conducting court authorized law enforcement activity," Angelina Thompson, a spokesperson with the U.S. District Attorney's Office for the District of Maryland, told USA TODAY in a statement.
The Saltoro is managed by Synergy Marine Group, the same company that managed the Dali, which on March 26 crashed into the bridge, causing it to fall into the Patapsco River. Six people who were working on the bridge were killed in the disaster, which also stalled operations in the Port of Baltimore.
The Washington Post reported that its reporters saw the ship enter the harbor early Saturday morning and federal agents waiting in a line on the dock outside the ship.
It's not clear whether the move on Saturday is related to the ongoing investigation of the bridge collapse, and the agencies said they would not comment further. Synergy Marine Group did not return requests for comment on Saturday.
US government sues Dali owners
Earlier this week, the Department of Justice filed a civil claim for $103 million against Synergy Marine Private Limited and Grace Ocean Private Limited, the Dali's owner, to recover the money spent responding to the crash and clearing debris so the port could reopen in June.
The suit also includes an unspecified amount for punitive damages. The DOJ accused the two companies of negligence.
"This was an entirely avoidable catastrophe, resulting from a series of eminently foreseeable errors made by the owner and operator of the Dali," Brian Boynton, who heads the Justice Department's Civil Division, said in a statement.
The Dali lost power twice before it left the Port of Baltimore, according to a preliminary report from the National Transportation Safety Board. The two companies that own and operate the Dali earlier filed a motion to limit their legal liability, which the city of Baltimore has opposed.
The companies said in a statement that the claims were anticipated, and "we do look forward to our day in court to set the record straight."
The families of the six men killed when the bridge tumbled into the water, the company that employed the workers and a survivor of the collapse have also filed claims against the companies in advance of a Sept. 24 deadline.
Contributing: N'dea Yancey-Bragg, USA TODAY; Reuters
veryGood! (8553)
Related
- Boy who wandered away from his 5th birthday party found dead in canal, police say
- US inflation has steadily cooled. Getting it down to the Fed’s target rate will be the toughest mile
- Spin the wheel on these Pat Sajak facts: Famed host's age, height, career, more
- Have we reached tipping fatigue? Bars to coffee shops to carryouts solicit consumers
- Kansas City Chiefs CEO's Daughter Ava Hunt Hospitalized After Falling Down a Mountain
- 3 killed by landslides at base camp of a Hindu temple in northern India; 17 others still missing
- Texans minority owner Enrique Javier Loya facing rape, sexual abuse charges in Kentucky
- $1.55 billion Mega Millions jackpot is the 3rd largest in US history
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- An Ohio election that revolves around abortion rights is fueled by national groups and money
Ranking
- Giants, Lions fined $200K for fights in training camp joint practices
- Maine mom who pleaded guilty to her child’s overdose death begins 4-year sentence
- The World Food Program slowly resumes food aid to Ethiopia after months of suspension and criticism
- Elon Musk says his fight against Mark Zuckerberg will stream on X — but Zuck claps back
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Once Colombia’s most-wanted drug lord, the kingpin known as Otoniel faces sentencing in US
- Pakistan's former Prime Minister Imran Khan arrested after jail sentence for corruption conviction
- Pet alligator in 'deplorable' state rescued by landscapers from creek in Pennsylvania
Recommendation
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
YouTuber Daniel Sancho Bronchalo, Son of Spanish Actor Rodolfo Sancho, Arrested for Murder in Thailand
Former Georgia lieutenant governor says he received grand jury subpoena
What are the 10 largest US lottery jackpots ever won?
Oklahoma parole board recommends governor spare the life of man on death row
Missouri man sentenced to prison for killing that went unsolved for decades
Loch Ness Centre wants new generation of monster hunters for biggest search in 50 years
Vanderpump Rules' Ariana Madix Shakes Off Wardrobe Malfunction Like a Pro