Current:Home > MyBurley Garcia|Man convicted of hate crimes for attacking Muslim man in New York City -Elevate Capital Network
Burley Garcia|Man convicted of hate crimes for attacking Muslim man in New York City
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-07 05:02:49
A New Jersey resident was convicted of hate crimes after he attacked a Muslim man with a knife near a New York City food cart while saying slurs,Burley Garcia prosecutors announced Thursday.
“A Manhattan jury held Gino Sozio accountable for attacking a Muslim-American man in a vicious act of hate,” said Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg. “Instead of walking away from a dispute, Sozio went on an appalling racist and anti-Muslim tirade and took out a knife, seriously injuring the victim who is still in pain to this day. I thank the victim and the eyewitnesses for bravely coming forward and taking the stand, and our talented prosecutors who fought for justice in this case.”
Gino Sozio, 40, of Morganville, New Jersey, swung a knife at a group of Muslims near a halal food cart in Midtown while making Islamophobic comments, prosecutors said, slashing one man in the torso. A New York Supreme Court jury found Sozio guilty of first-degree attempted assault and second-degree assault, both as hate crimes, as well as third-degree criminal possession of a weapon. He will be sentenced on May 3.
The conviction comes as civil rights leaders decry a record-high level of Islamophobic hate incidents in the United States.
Overall, hate crimes reported across 25 American cities increased last year by an average of 17% from 2022, according to a study from the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism at California State University.
Man said slurs as he slashed victim
The 22-year-old victim had traveled with friends to Midtown from New Jersey and ordered food at a street cart, prosecutors said. At around 2 a.m. on December 31, 2022, as they were waiting for their order, one of the victim's friends told Sozio he may have dropped something. In response, Sozio approached the group and began making xenophobic comments that stated in substance, “This is my country. Go back to your country.”
As Sozio continued to make remarks, one person in the group took out his phone to record the incident, according to prosecutors. Sozio slapped the man’s phone out of his hand, and the man responded by punching him. Sozio then pulled out a knife from his pocket and swung it toward the group, eventually slashing one person’s torso, causing a large wound which required stitches and surgery, the district attorney's office said. Throughout the assault, Sozio continued to pass slurs.
A few minutes later, New York City police officers arrested Sozio and took his knife as he continued to make racial comments and slurs.
“No one should have their life put in danger simply because of their faith,” said Afaf Nasher, executive director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations New York chapter. “We welcome the conviction of the perpetrator of this disturbing crime and urge law enforcement to crack down on the rising tide of anti-Muslim incidents.”
The district attorney's office did not provide the name of the victim.
The conviction comes days after CAIR released a report that showed the civil rights group had received a record-high number of complaints in its 30-year history. CAIR said it documented 8,061 complaints in 2023, nearly half of which were received in the final three months of the year.
veryGood! (4151)
Related
- Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
- Key takeaways from AP’s interview with Francis Ford Coppola about ‘Megalopolis’
- Ex-NYC COVID adviser is fired after video reveals he attended parties during pandemic
- Ex-officer testifies he disliked his unit’s ‘hostility’ even before Tyre Nichols beating
- Louisiana high court temporarily removes Judge Eboni Johnson Rose from Baton Rouge bench amid probe
- Tren de Aragua gang started in Venezuela’s prisons and now spreads fear in the US
- Park service searches for Yellowstone employee who went missing after summit of Eagle Peak
- A city proud of its role in facing down hatred confronts a new wave of violence
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Who's in the disguise? Watch as 7-time Grammy Award winner sings at Vegas karaoke bar
Ranking
- Michigan lawmaker who was arrested in June loses reelection bid in Republican primary
- Marvel Studios debuts 'Thunderbolts' teaser trailer, featuring Florence Pugh and co-stars
- Department of Justice sues Visa, saying the card issuer monopolizes debit card markets
- David Sedaris is flummoxed by this American anomaly: 'It doesn't make sense to me'
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Judge Judy's Nighttime Activity With Husband Jerry Sheindlin Is Very on Brand
- Retirement on Arizona right-leaning high court gives Democratic governor rare chance to fill seat
- Key takeaways from AP’s interview with Francis Ford Coppola about ‘Megalopolis’
Recommendation
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
Retirement on Arizona right-leaning high court gives Democratic governor rare chance to fill seat
Shailene Woodley Details Losing Her Hearing While Suffering “Conflation” of Health Issues
Dancing With the Stars' Artem Chigvintsev Not Charged After Domestic Violence Arrest
Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
T.I., Tiny win $71M in lawsuit with toy company over OMG Girlz dolls likeness: Reports
Whooping cough cases are on the rise. Here's what you need to know.
Mississippi’s Republican governor pushes income-tax cut, says critics rely on ‘myths’