Current:Home > InvestFlowers, candles, silence as Serbia marks the 1st anniversary of mass shooting at a Belgrade school -Elevate Capital Network
Flowers, candles, silence as Serbia marks the 1st anniversary of mass shooting at a Belgrade school
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-07 02:40:35
BELGRADE, Serbia (AP) — Hundreds of people laid flowers and lit candles on Friday to commemorate the victims of Serbia’s first-ever school shooting a year ago that left nine children and a school guard dead and six people wounded.
A somber, silent queue formed on a rainy day outside the Vladislav Ribnikar Elementary School in central Belgrade where a 13-year-old boy is accused of opening fire at his schoolmates with his father’s guns last year.
The shooting stunned Serbia. The Balkan nation was no stranger to violent crime, but mass shootings are rare, and none had taken place at a school before.
Just a day later, a shooting rampage outside the capital further shocked the country. A 20-year-old man was accused of killing nine and wounding 12 others, mostly young people.
Friday’s vigil formally started at 8:41 a.m., the time of the school shooting last year. Serbian television stations interrupted their broadcasts, showing the text “We remember” on a black screen.
The all-day event near the school also included art installations, a panel discussion and short films about the victims. The street where the school is located is closed to traffic.
The event was titled “Awakening,” a call for introspection in a nation that is yet to come to terms with its role in multiple wars in the 1990s and the culture of violence that has prevailed ever since.
Ninela Radicevic, a mother of a victim, told The Associated Press ahead of the anniversary that society and the government had “rushed to forget” the tragedy. Radicevic, who lost her 11-year-old daughter Ana Bozovic in the shooting, said she hoped Serbia can prevent such a horrific crime from happening again.
“We have missed many chances to react better... (but) I think it is never too late to pause ... and to try not to make the same mistakes in the future,” said psychology professor Aleksandar Baucal, who is part of a team behind the commemoration.
The slain children’s parents have fought to have the school closed and turned into a memorial center. They’ve organized protests, remembrance events and testified about their ordeal to promote awareness among the public.
Serbia’s populist government launched a gun crackdown after the shooting, collecting about 80,000 weapons and rounds of ammunition. State-backed support teams offered counseling and police officers were deployed outside schools for security.
Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic said on Instagram after paying respects Friday that the “unthinkable tragedy has left a permanent scar on the soul of our entire nation.”
Suspects in both of the shootings were apprehended. The alleged school shooter’s parents went on trial in January, charged with teaching their underage son to shoot and with not securing the weapons at the family home. The trial is continuing. The boy has been held in an institution since the attack.
The trial of the other suspect and his father is to start later this month in the central town of Smederevo.
Shock and anger because of the shootings triggered months of street protests demanding the resignations of top officials and a ban on media that spew hate speech and intolerance.
veryGood! (62987)
Related
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- 'Disgusting hate:' California shop owner killed over Pride flag
- A list of the 5 new vehicles with the lowest average purchase prices in the US
- Mother recounts desperate effort to save son killed in Maui fires before 15th birthday: Threw myself on the floor
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau slams Facebook for blocking Canada wildfire news
- As Tropical Storm Hilary shrinks, desert and mountain towns dig themselves out of the mud
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow progressing from calf injury
- How effective is the Hyundai, Kia anti-theft software? New study offers insights.
- Is Dodger Stadium flooded? No, it was just an illusion
Ranking
- American news website Axios laying off dozens of employees
- Sarah Hyland and Wells Adams Celebrate First Wedding Anniversary With Swoon-Worthy Tributes
- Shooting on Minneapolis street injures eight people
- Anime can invite you into worlds you didn't know before. It does for me
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Global food security is at crossroads as rice shortages and surging prices hit the most vulnerable
- What are peptides? Understand why some people take them.
- Maui confronts challenge of finding those unaccounted for after deadly fire
Recommendation
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
Inside KCON LA 2023, an extravagant microcosm of K-pop’s macro influence
Whiten Your Teeth and Remove Stains With a $49 Deal on $235 Worth of Supersmile Products
Hozier talks 'cursed' drawings, Ed Sheeran and 'proud' legacy of 'Take Me to Church'
Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
Meadow Walker Calls Husband Louis Thornton-Allan Her Best Friend in Birthday Tribute
Photos of flooded Dodger Stadium go viral after Tropical Storm Hilary hits Los Angeles
Europe’s sweeping rules for tech giants are about to kick in. Here’s how they work