Current:Home > reviewsTradeEdge Exchange:African Union says its second phase of troop withdrawal from Somalia has started -Elevate Capital Network
TradeEdge Exchange:African Union says its second phase of troop withdrawal from Somalia has started
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 05:37:49
MOGADISHU,TradeEdge Exchange Somalia (AP) — The second phase of the African Union troop withdrawal from Somalia has started, the bloc said Monday. The pullout follows a timeline for the handover of security to the country’s authorities, which are fighting al-Qaida’s affiliate in East Africa — the Somalia-based al-Shabab.
Last year, the U.N. Security Council unanimously approved a new African Union Transition Mission in Somalia, known as ATMIS, to support the Somalis until their forces take full responsibility for the country’s security at the end of 2024.
The mission is targeting to pull out at least 3,000 more troops by the end of the month, out of the originally 19,626-strong AU force. In the first phase, some 2,000 AU troops drawn from various member states left Somalia in June, handing over six forward operating bases.
On Sunday, the Burundian contingent handed over the Biyo Adde forward operating base in the south-central Hirshabelle state, near the capital of Mogadishu, to the Somali national army. Commander Lt. Col. Philip Butoyi commended the progress made by the Somali forces.
“We have witnessed developments on the battlefield where Somali Security Forces have demonstrated their increasing capability to secure the country. We have seen the forces attack, seize, and hold ground,” the mission quoted Butoyi as saying.
Somali army Maj. Muhudiin Ahmed, thanked the Burundian troops for putting their “lives on the line and shed blood to defend our land against the enemy”.
Under a U.N resolution, the pullout will occur in three phases and completed by December 2024.
Somalia’s government last year launched “total war” on the al-Qaida-linked terror group al-Shabab, which controls parts of rural central and southern Somalia and makes millions of dollars through “taxation” of residents and extortion of businesses.
Al-Shahab has for more than a decade carried out devastating attacks while exploiting clan divisions and extorting millions of dollars a year in its quest to impose an Islamic state. The current offensive was sparked in part by local communities and militias driven to the brink by al-Shabab’s harsh taxation policies amid the country’s worst drought on record.
veryGood! (72959)
Related
- A Georgia governor’s latest work after politics: a children’s book on his cats ‘Veto’ and ‘Bill’
- Feel like you have huge pores? Here's what experts say you can do about it.
- 'Stop the killings': Vigils honor Sonya Massey as calls for justice grow
- National Chicken Wing Day deals: Get free wings at Wingstop, Buffalo Wild Wings, more
- Vance jokes he’s checking out his future VP plane while overlapping with Harris at Wisconsin airport
- Mom sees son committing bestiality, sex acts with horse on camera; son charged: Authorities
- USWNT's future is now as Big Three produce big results at Paris Olympics
- Swarm of dragonflies startles beachgoers in Rhode Island
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- A group of 2,000 migrants advance through southern Mexico in hopes of reaching the US
Ranking
- 'Meet me at the gate': Watch as widow scatters husband's ashes, BASE jumps into canyon
- Struggling with acne? These skincare tips are dermatologist-approved.
- 'Lord of the Rings' exclusive: See how Ents, creatures come alive in 'Rings of Power'
- What's in the box Olympic medal winners get? What else medalists get for winning
- Illinois governor calls for resignation of sheriff whose deputy fatally shot Black woman in her home
- Midwest sees surge in calls to poison control centers amid bumper crop of wild mushrooms
- Quake rattles Southern California desert communities, no immediate reports of damage
- Texas senators grill utility executives about massive power failure after Hurricane Beryl
Recommendation
Everything Simone Biles did at the Paris Olympics was amplified. She thrived in the spotlight
Massachusetts governor signs $58 billion state budget featuring free community college plan
10, 11-year-old children among those charged in death of 8-year-old boy in Georgia
The Hills’ Whitney Port Shares Insight Into New Round of Fertility Journey
51-year-old Andy Macdonald puts on Tony Hawk-approved Olympic skateboard showing
3-year-old dies after falling from 8th-floor window in Kansas City suburb
A move to limit fowl in Iowa’s capital eggs residents on to protest with a chicken parade
Alabama city and multibillion dollar company to refund speeding tickets