Current:Home > StocksIndexbit-California school district agrees to pay $27 million to settle suit over death of 13-year-old assaulted by fellow students -Elevate Capital Network
Indexbit-California school district agrees to pay $27 million to settle suit over death of 13-year-old assaulted by fellow students
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-07 05:30:51
A Southern California school district has agreed to pay $27 million to settle a lawsuit by the family of an eighth grade boy who died after being assaulted by two other students at a middle school four years ago.
The settlement with the Moreno Valley Unified School District was announced Wednesday by lawyers for relatives of 13-year-old Diego Stolz, who was sucker-punched at Landmark Middle School in September 2019.
One of the teens struck the teenager in the head from behind and he fell, hitting his head against a pillar. The teens then continued punching Stolz, who died nine days later from a brain injury. The attack was recorded on video.
Dave Ring, an attorney for the Stolz family, said the family told the school that their nephew had been bullied and punched on several occasions, CBS Los Angeles reported. The administration promised the family the bullies would be suspended from the school if nothing happened, the station reported.
Moreno Valley Unified pays family $27 million for the death of Diego Stolz https://t.co/BpffD8U0M4
— KCAL News (@kcalnews) September 14, 2023
"The Friday before Diego was killed, Diego and his adult sister went and met with the assistant principal," said Ring. "They never did anything. They just put it at the bottom of their stack and said we'll deal with it later."
Ring said the boy's death would have been preventable if there was an anti-bullying policy in place at the school about 65 miles east of Los Angeles.
"Schools need to realize that bullying can never be tolerated and that any complaints of bullying and assault must be taken seriously," Ring said in a news release.
School officials will not be commenting on the settlement, district spokesperson Anahi Velasco said in an email Wednesday. The district said previously that it changed its bullying reporting system and its training for employees. Also the school's principal and vice principal were replaced.
The family also inspired a new piece of legislation authored by Eloise Reyes Gomez, which allows legal guardians to bring civil action in wrongful death cases, CBS Los Angeles reported.
The assailants, who were 14 at the time of the attack, entered the equivalent of guilty pleas in juvenile court to involuntary manslaughter and assault with force likely to cause great bodily injury.
The teens spent 47 days in juvenile custody. A judge declined to sentence them to more jail time, but ordered that they undergo anger management therapy.
- In:
- Lawsuit
- California
- Bullying
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Former Milwaukee hotel workers charged with murder after video shows them holding down Black man
- Henry Kissinger, secretary of state under Presidents Nixon and Ford, dies at 100
- Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway says Haslams offered bribes to inflate Pilot truck stops earnings
- US Navy warship shoots down drone launched by Houthis from Yemen, official says
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Biden administration proposes biggest changes to lead pipe rules in more than three decades
- France arrests yoga guru Gregorian Bivolaru on suspicion of indoctrinating followers for sexual exploitation
- Man charged with shooting 3 Palestinian college students accused of harassing ex-girlfriend in 2019
- USA women's basketball live updates at Olympics: Start time vs Nigeria, how to watch
- Winter Olympics set to return to Salt Lake City in 2034 as IOC enters talks
Ranking
- FBI: California woman brought sword, whip and other weapons into Capitol during Jan. 6 riot
- Musk uses expletive to tell audience he doesn’t care about advertisers that fled X over hate speech
- On 1st day, UN climate conference sets up fund for countries hit by disasters like flood and drought
- Shannen Doherty Details Horrible Reaction After Brain Tumor Surgery
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Winds topple 40-foot National Christmas Tree outside White House; video shows crane raising it upright
- Deutsche Bank was keen to land a ‘whale’ of a client in Trump, documents at his fraud trial show
- What works for treating the common cold? Many doctors say 'not much'
Recommendation
'Meet me at the gate': Watch as widow scatters husband's ashes, BASE jumps into canyon
Algeria passes law to protect media freedom. Others used to imprison journalists remain on the books
Proposed NewRange copper-nickel mine in Minnesota suffers fresh setback on top of years of delays
Former WWE star Tammy Sunny Sytch gets over 17 years in prison for deadly DUI crash
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Former federal prison lieutenant sentenced to 3 years for failing to help sick inmate who later died
Winds topple 40-foot National Christmas Tree outside White House; video shows crane raising it upright
Her bladder stopped working, and her whole world changed. Here's how she fixed it.