Current:Home > reviewsJohnathan Walker:Half of Nagorno-Karabakh’s population flees as the separatist government says it will dissolve -Elevate Capital Network
Johnathan Walker:Half of Nagorno-Karabakh’s population flees as the separatist government says it will dissolve
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 07:15:35
YEREVAN,Johnathan Walker Armenia (AP) — The separatist government of Nagorno-Karabakh announced Thursday that it will dissolve itself and the unrecognized republic will cease to exist by the end of the year, and Armenian officials said more than half of the population has already fled.
That is after Azerbaijan carried out a lightning offensive to reclaim full control over its breakaway region and demanded that Armenian troops in Nagorno-Karabakh lay down their weapons and the separatist government dissolve itself.
A decree to that effect was signed by the region’s separatist President Samvel Shakhramanyan. The document cited an agreement reached last week to end the fighting under which Azerbaijan will allow the “free, voluntary and unhindered movement” of Nagorno-Karabakh residents and disarm troops in Armenia in exchange.
Nagorno-Karabakh is a region of Azerbaijan that came under the control of ethnic Armenian forces, backed by the Armenian military, in separatist fighting that ended in 1994. During a six-week war in 2020, Azerbaijan took back parts of the region along with surrounding territory that Armenian forces had claimed during the earlier conflict.
Following the latest offensive and a cease-fire agreement brokered by Russian peacekeepers, Azerbaijan and Nagorno-Karabakh separatist authorities have begun talks on “reintegrating” the region back into Azerbaijan. Azerbaijani authorities have pledged to respect the rights of ethnic Armenians in the region and restore supplies after a 10-month blockade. Many local residents, however, fear reprisals and have decided to leave for Armenia.
By Thursday morning, more than half of Nagorno-Karabakh’s population — over 65,000 people — had fled to Armenia, according to Armenian officials.
The massive exodus began on Sunday evening, and the only road linking Nagorno-Karabakh to Armenia quickly filled up with cars that created an hourslong traffic jam. On Monday night, a fuel reservoir exploded at a gas station where people seeking to leave were lining up for gas that due to the blockade had been in short supply. At least 68 people were killed and nearly 300 injured, with over 100 more still considered missing.
It isn’t immediately clear if any of the ethnic Armenians that have populated the region will remain there. Shakhramayan’s decree on Thursday urged Nagorno-Karabakh’s population — including those who left — “to familiarize themselves with the conditions of reintegration offered by the Republic of Azerbaijan, in order to then make an individual decision about the possibility of staying in (or returning to) Nagorno-Karabakh.”
___
Ethnic Armenians from Nagorno-Karabakh comfort a young woman upon arriving to Kornidzor in Syunik region, Armenia, Tuesday, Sept. 26, 2023. (AP Photo/Vasily Krestyaninov)
Associated Press writer Dasha Litvinova in Tallinn, Estonia, contributed to this report.
veryGood! (79152)
Related
- Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
- The 10 Top-Rated, Easy-to-Use Hair Products for Root Touch-Ups and Grey Coverage in Between Salon Visits
- Lululemon Drops a Clear Version of Its Iconic Belt Bag Just in Time for Summer Concerts
- TJ Maxx store workers now wearing body cameras to thwart shoplifters
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Judge dismisses cruelty charges against trooper who hit loose horse with patrol vehicle
- House votes to sanction International Criminal Court over potential warrants for Israeli officials
- New York judge seen shoving police officer will be replaced on the bench
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- More young people could be tried as adults in North Carolina under bill heading to governor
Ranking
- NCAA hits former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh with suspension, show-cause for recruiting violations
- Walmart offers bonuses to hourly workers in a company first
- Travis Kelce Reveals He Was Warned About Getting Tased During White House Visit
- New Jersey adopts public records law critics say tightens access to documents
- Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
- Judge dismisses cruelty charges against trooper who hit loose horse with patrol vehicle
- In Washington, D.C., the city’s ‘forgotten river’ cleans up, slowly
- Pritzker signs $53.1B Illinois budget, defends spending with ‘sustainable long-term growth’
Recommendation
51-year-old Andy Macdonald puts on Tony Hawk-approved Olympic skateboard showing
Who is Keith Gill, the Roaring Kitty pumping up GameStop shares?
Adam Levine Is Returning to The Voice: Meet His Fellow Season 27 Coaches
From smart glasses to a rainbow rodeo, some Father’s Day gift ideas for all kinds of dads
Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
Another victim from suspected serial killer's Indiana farm ID'd as man who went missing in 1993
Kyrie Irving took long, complicated route back to NBA Finals with Dallas Mavericks
Is matcha good for you? What to know about the popular beverage