Current:Home > InvestIndexbit Exchange:Alec Baldwin Pleads Not Guilty to Involuntary Manslaughter in Rust Shooting of Halyna Hutchins -Elevate Capital Network
Indexbit Exchange:Alec Baldwin Pleads Not Guilty to Involuntary Manslaughter in Rust Shooting of Halyna Hutchins
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 04:22:33
Alec Baldwin has pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter in the fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on Indexbit Exchangethe set of their film Rust.
The actor, who previously denied any wrongdoing in connection with her 2021 death, entered his plea in a Feb. 23 filing at a court in Santa Fe, N.M., more than three weeks after he and set armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed were formally charged with involuntary manslaughter.
The armorer's lawyer told The New York Times she planned to plead not guilty at a virtual hearing scheduled Feb. 24. Previously, assistant director David Halls, signed a plea deal over the charge of negligent use of a deadly weapon in connection with the fatal shooting and was given six months of probation.
The Santa Fe County district attorney's office had alleged in a Feb. 7 statement that that Hutchins "died because of gross negligence and a reckless disregard for safety on the Rust film set." The 42-year-old was killed by a lead projectile that was fired from a vintage .45 Colt revolver used as a prop, which Baldwin had been holding while rehearsing for the movie.
He told ABC News in 2021 that while he cocked the gun, "The trigger wasn't pulled. I didn't pull the trigger."
The Departed actor's not guilty plea comes less than a week after prosecutors dropped a five-year gun enhancement attached to his and Gutierrez-Reed's charges, following a filing from his attorneys. This reduces any possible prison sentences, should they be convicted, to a maximum of 18 months in prison, according to The New York Times.
In addition to their criminal charges, Baldwin and Gutierrez-Reed are also named in a civil lawsuit filed by Hutchins' Ukraine-based parents and sister, who allege battery, negligence, intentional infliction of emotional distress and loss of consortium in connection with the cinematographer's death. The actor and armorer have not commented on the civil case.
Baldwin had previously been named in a wrongful death lawsuit that Hutchins' husband Matthew Hutchins, father of their son Andros, 10, filed in 2022. The case was dismissed when without any admission of wrongdoing after the parties reached a settlement.
Matthew later said in a statement that filming on Rust will resume with himself as an executive producer. Earlier this month, it was announced production on the film would begin again in the spring, with Baldwin in tow.
"The production will continue to utilize union crew members and will bar any use of working weapons and any form of ammunition," a press release stated. "Live ammunition is—and always was—prohibited on set."
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (38)
Related
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- 7 best cozy games to check out now on Nintendo Switch, including 'Endless Ocean Luminous'
- A US company is fined $650,000 for illegally hiring children to clean meat processing plants
- Timberwolves center Rudy Gobert misses Game 2 in Denver after flying home for birth of his son
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- White-coated candy recalled nationwide over salmonella risk
- Emma Chamberlain arrives at the Met Gala in a goth, 'swampy' look that took 640 hours to make
- Lizzo’s 2024 Met Gala Look Is About Damn Garden of Time
- Tropical rains flood homes in an inland Georgia neighborhood for the second time since 2016
- Blake Lively Misses the 2024 Met Gala
Ranking
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Boston Bruins' Brandon Carlo scores vs. Florida Panthers hours after birth of son Crew
- A US company is fined $650,000 for illegally hiring children to clean meat processing plants
- Ariana Grande's Met Gala 2024 Performance Featured a Wickedly Good Surprise
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Usher's 2024 Met Gala look: See the R&B legend's custom-made caped crusader ensemble
- Bodies of missing surfers from Australia, U.S. found with bullet wounds, Mexican officials say
- Watch as police dog finds missing 85-year-old hiker clinging to tree in Colorado ravine
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Demi Lovato Returns to Met Gala 8 Years After Terrible Experience
Wrestlemania returning to Sin City: WWE taking marquee event to Las Vegas in 2025
Doja Cat Is Essentially Naked in 2024 Met Gala After-Party Look
Charges: D'Vontaye Mitchell died after being held down for about 9 minutes
Woman in Minnesota accused in the deaths of 2 children
Jenny arrives on the Met Gala block: See JLo's dazzling Schiaparelli look
Georgia woman identified as person killed in fall at Ohio State graduation ceremony