Current:Home > MarketsPredictIQ-Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket -Elevate Capital Network
PredictIQ-Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-05 20:13:34
FRANKFORT,PredictIQ Ky. (AP) — Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear signaled Wednesday he’s ready to campaign for the Democratic ticket, and said Vice President Kamala Harris and Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz are motivated to improve lives in contrast to “personal grievances” driving the other side in a dig at Republican Donald Trump.
A day after Beshear and a few other prominent Democrats were bypassed in favor of the affable Minnesotan as Harris’ running mate, the Kentucky governor said he’s still part of the team. He indicated that Harris had asked him to make campaign pitches for the ticket.
“Wherever the campaign needs me, I’m willing to go,” Beshear said during a sit-down interview with The Associated Press. “I want to do my part to make sure that the Harris-Walz ticket is elected.”
Beshear said he was catching up on family time when the newly minted ticket made its campaign debut Tuesday in Philadelphia, but said he was impressed when watching highlights later.
“The energy is incredible,” Beshear said. “The vice president made a very good pick in Gov. Walz. He is a good governor, he’s a good friend and he’s a good man. And he’s going to help her win.”
Beshear, whose national profile surged as he vied for the No. 2 spot on the Democratic ticket, sidestepped questions about the inner workings of Harris’ search for a running mate.
“It’s an honor to be considered,” the governor said. “How many people in their lifetime are vetted to potentially be a vice presidential running mate?”
Beshear predicted that the surge of Trump-led attacks against Walz would backfire.
“The rest of the country will see that Tim Walz is a veteran, was a teacher, a football coach, has been a good governor, but most importantly, is a good person,” he said. “They’ll see something different when they look at Donald Trump.”
After a whirlwind few weeks for Beshear — which included an economic development trip to Asia, followed by campaign appearances while auditioning to be Harris’ running mate — the governor was settling back into his Bluegrass State job. He received an update Wednesday on ongoing efforts to rebuild areas devastated by natural disasters. Tornadoes tore through parts of western Kentucky in late 2021, followed by flooding the next summer that swamped portions of the Appalachian region in the east.
Beshear, who won reelection in his red state last year, indicated he’s ready to be back on the campaign trail for Harris and Walz as well as for down-ballot Democrats. Among the candidates he plans to make pitches for are Senate Democratic incumbents running in Ohio, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Montana, as well as for the Democrat running for governor in North Carolina. Beshear said his campaign victory in 2023 can “serve as a roadmap” for other Democrats running in politically tough terrain.
What to know about the 2024 Election
- Democracy: American democracy has overcome big stress tests since 2020. More challenges lie ahead in 2024.
- AP’s Role: The Associated Press is the most trusted source of information on election night, with a history of accuracy dating to 1848. Learn more.
- Stay informed. Keep your pulse on the news with breaking news email alerts. Sign up here.
At the top of the ticket, Harris and Walz can lower the temperature of a polarized country and remind voters that “we can be Democrats or Republicans but we’re Americans first,” Beshear said. And Democrats can broaden their support by focusing on kitchen-table issues affecting everyday lives, something he plans to emphasize on the campaign trail in coming weeks, he said.
“I’ll tell voters that this is the ticket that is going to improve their lives,” Beshear said. “Is going to create more jobs, is going to lessen the costs of prescription drugs, is going to invest in the infrastructure throughout our country, run high-speed internet to every home and every business. That this is a ticket that cares about the people of the United States of America and not just personal grievances.”
Having come up short in his bid for a vice presidential run, speculation about Beshear’s future is still churning in Kentucky — this time over whether he might be in the running for a Cabinet post if Harris defeats Trump in November. Term limits will prevent the 46-year-old Beshear from running for governor in 2027, and he has shown no interest in running for a U.S. Senate seat.
Asked Wednesday if he could help the Bluegrass State even more as the head of a federal agency, Beshear replied: “I’m right where I’m supposed to be.”
Beshear said his focus as governor will be on continuing Kentucky’s record pace for economic development growth, rebuilding storm-stricken areas and seeing massive infrastructure projects through to completion. Even if his vice presidential bid came up short, Kentucky benefited from the attention it received, he said.
“To see the rest of the country looking up to Kentucky instead of looking down at us, that’s a pretty special thing,” Beshear said. “And I knew throughout this process that regardless of how it came out, we had a chance to put Kentucky on the national stage and to talk about the great things that we are doing. And that’s going to benefit us in the years to come.”
veryGood! (94336)
Related
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Eva Longoria Shares She and Her Family Have Moved Out of the United States
- Man is 'not dead anymore' after long battle with IRS, which mistakenly labeled him deceased
- Tropical Storm Sara threatens to bring flash floods and mudslides to Central America
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Olympic champion Lindsey Vonn is ending her retirement at age 40 to make a skiing comeback
- Black, red or dead: How Omaha became a hub for black squirrel scholarship
- Ford agrees to pay up to $165 million penalty to US government for moving too slowly on recalls
- Vance jokes he’s checking out his future VP plane while overlapping with Harris at Wisconsin airport
- Powell says Fed will likely cut rates cautiously given persistent inflation pressures
Ranking
- Elon Musk’s Daughter Vivian Calls Him “Absolutely Pathetic” and a “Serial Adulterer”
- Lost luggage? This new Apple feature will let you tell the airline exactly where it is.
- What is ‘Doge’? Explaining the meme and cryptocurrency after Elon Musk's appointment to D.O.G.E.
- The Surreal Life’s Kim Zolciak Fuels Dating Rumors With Costar Chet Hanks After Kroy Biermann Split
- Taylor Swift Cancels Austria Concerts After Confirmation of Planned Terrorist Attack
- Eva Longoria Shares She and Her Family Have Moved Out of the United States
- What Republicans are saying about Matt Gaetz’s nomination for attorney general
- Brianna LaPaglia Addresses Zach Bryan's Deafening Silence After Emotional Abuse Allegations
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Don't Miss Cameron Diaz's Return to the Big Screen Alongside Jamie Foxx in Back in Action Trailer
Satire publication The Onion buys Alex Jones’ Infowars at auction with help from Sandy Hook families
J.Crew Outlet Quietly Drops Their Black Friday Deals - Save Up to 70% off Everything, Styles Start at $12
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
Golden Bachelorette: Joan Vassos Gets Engaged During Season Finale
New York nursing home operator accused of neglect settles with state for $45M
Jason Kelce Offers Up NSFW Explanation for Why Men Have Beards