Current:Home > MarketsThe suspect in the ambush killing of a Los Angeles sheriff’s deputy is set to appear in court -Elevate Capital Network
The suspect in the ambush killing of a Los Angeles sheriff’s deputy is set to appear in court
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 04:02:49
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Los Angeles County prosecutors expect to file charges Wednesday against a man who allegedly shot and killed a sheriff’s deputy as he sat in a patrol car, authorities said.
Officials say Kevin Cataneo Salazar ambushed 30-year-old Deputy Ryan Clinkunbroomer on Saturday in Palmdale, a city of more than 167,000 residents in the high desert of northern Los Angeles County.
Cataneo Salazar, 29, is scheduled to be arraigned Wednesday, spokesperson Venusse Navid of the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office said in an email. The district attorney’s office has not said what charges they are pursuing in the case, but planned an afternoon news conference.
Cataneo Salazar was arrested Monday after an hours-long standoff with sheriff’s deputies. He had barricaded himself inside his family’s Palmdale home.
Questions remained in the days after the slaying, including the motive in the case and whether Clinkunbroomer and Cataneo Salazar previously knew each other.
The Los Angeles County public defender’s office did not immediately know whether they would be appointed to represent Cataneo Salazar. His mother and other family members did not return phone and email messages seeking comment.
His mother, Marle Salazar, told the Los Angeles Times her son was diagnosed as paranoid schizophrenic about five years ago. He would say he was hearing voices in his head, she said, and sometimes claimed that cars or people were following him. He twice attempted suicide, she said.
“My son is mentally ill, and if he did something, he wasn’t in his full mental capacity,” she said in an interview with the paper.
Marle Salazar told the Times that she didn’t know her son owned a gun, but she was told by detectives that he had legally purchased a weapon that was used in the attack. It was not clear when he bought the firearm.
Under California’s so-called “red flag law” — the first of such legislation to be enacted in the country — firearms can be seized from people who are considered a danger to themselves or others. Law enforcement and family and household members, as well as some co-workers, employers and teachers, can petition the court to remove the guns from the person’s possession or bar the person from purchasing them.
Despite Cataneo Salazar’s reported schizophrenia diagnosis, it was not clear whether he would have qualified under the state’s red flag law or other statutes designed to keep guns out of the hands of people with mental illnesses.
There were no Los Angeles County court records indicating someone had petitioned to seize his weapons or prevent him from buying them.
Marle Salazar said that her son had been hospitalized in the past year, but it was not clear if he sought treatment himself or was involuntarily committed.
She said she called deputies at least twice in the past, asking for help when her son refused to take his medication and grew aggressive toward himself. She said he had never hurt anyone before, and his aggression was always self-directed.
“I have called the police several times,” she told the newspaper. “In the end, they would say, ‘He’s an adult, so if he doesn’t want to take (his medication), we can’t do anything.’ ”
Sheriff’s department spokesperson Nicole Nishida previously said investigators were looking into whether there were law enforcement calls at the home.
veryGood! (49)
Related
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Military jet goes down near Albuquerque airport; pilot hospitalized
- Four dead after vehicles collide on Virginia road, police say
- A year after Titan sub implosion, an Ohio billionaire says he wants to make his own voyage to Titanic wreckage
- Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
- Why Laurel Stucky Is Coming for “Poison” Cara Maria Sorbello on The Challenge: All Stars
- On Facebook, some pro-Palestinian groups have become a hotbed of antisemitism, study says
- Disneyland performers’ vote to unionize is certified by federal labor officials
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Why Ben Higgins Says He and Ex Fiancée Lauren Bushnell Were Like Work Associates Before Breakup
Ranking
- Charges: D'Vontaye Mitchell died after being held down for about 9 minutes
- Panda lover news: 2 more giant pandas are coming to the National Zoo in 2024
- Teen Mom's Mackenzie McKee Engaged to Khesanio Hall
- Ryan Reynolds Details How Anxiety Helps Him as a Dad to His and Blake Lively’s Kids
- Southern California rocked by series of earthquakes: Is a bigger one brewing?
- New Orleans mystery: Human skull padlocked to a dumbbell is pulled out of water by a fisherman
- As Maduro shifts from migration denier to defender, Venezuelans consider leaving if he is reelected
- Riley Keough, Lily Gladstone on gut-wrenching 'Under the Bridge' finale, 'terrifying' bullying
Recommendation
51-year-old Andy Macdonald puts on Tony Hawk-approved Olympic skateboard showing
Hurricane Ian destroyed his house. Still homeless, he's facing near-record summer heat.
Shania Twain doesn't hate ex-husband Robert John Lange for affair: 'It's his mistake'
Chicago man who served 12 years for murder wants life back. Key witness in case was blind.
'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
Reports: Texans, WR Nico Collins agree to three-year, $72.75 million extension
DNC plans to nominate Biden and Harris virtually before convention
Why Laurel Stucky Is Coming for “Poison” Cara Maria Sorbello on The Challenge: All Stars