Current:Home > NewsSurpassing:Arrests made in investigation of 6 bodies found in remote Southern California desert; victims identified -Elevate Capital Network
Surpassing:Arrests made in investigation of 6 bodies found in remote Southern California desert; victims identified
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 03:57:34
SAN DIEGO,Surpassing Calif. — Five suspects have been arrested in connection to the six bodies found in a remote area of the Southern California desert last week, authorities said Monday.
Authorities believe a marijuana dispute may have led to the killings, the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department said during a press conference late Monday afternoon. The six bodies were discovered last week in the Mojave Desert near El Mirage, California, an unincorporated community about 50 miles northeast of Los Angeles County.
Deputies were requested to respond to "an area off Highway 395 in El Mirage" for a wellness check on Tuesday night. Upon arrival, Sgt. Michael Warrick said officers found a crime scene with several gunshot wound victims and two vehicles, including one vehicle with multiple gunshot strikes.
Four of the victims had also sustained severe burns while a fifth victim was located in one of the vehicles, according to Warrick. The sixth victim was found a "short distance away" with a gunshot wound, he added.
Following an extensive investigation, Warrick said authorities served multiple search warrants on Sunday in areas of San Bernardino County and near Los Angeles County. The department arrested five suspects who were identified as Toniel Baez-Duarte, 34; Mateo Baez-Duarte, 24; Jose Nicolas Hernandez-Sarabia, 33; Jose Gregorio Hernandez-Sarabia, 34; and Jose Manuel Burgos Parra, 26.
"This is an area known for illicit marijuana," San Bernardino County Sheriff Shannon Dicus said. "It looks like illicit marijuana was the driving force behind these murders."
The investigation remains ongoing, according to Warrick.
Stay in the know:For more news of the day, sign up for Daily Briefing.
Authorities discovered crime scene after 911 call
Warrick said dispatchers had received a 911 call Tuesday night from a man, who was identified as one of the victims, saying he was shot but "did not know the location he was at." Dispatchers tracked the victim's phone to the remote area where the six victims were found.
All six victims suffered from fatal gunshot injuries and four were burned at the scene by the suspects, Warrick said. The two vehicles found at the scene were a Dodge Caravan and a Chevy Trailblazer, where the fifth victim was found.
Authorities released the names of three victims: Baldemar Mondragon-Albarran, 34, of Adelanto, California; Franklin Noel Bonilla, 22, of Hesperia, California; and Kevin Dariel Bonilla, 25, of Hesperia. Investigators believe Franklin Bonilla was the man who called 911.
A 45-year-old man was also identified but his name was withheld pending family notification and officials were still working to identify the remaining two victims.
Motive appears to be a dispute over marijuana
Authorities served search warrants Sunday in Apple Valley, Adelanto, and Piñon Hills, all in San Bernardino County and near Los Angeles County. Investigators also recovered eight firearms from the search, according to Warrick.
"We are still conducting follow-up investigation but we are confident we have arrested all the suspects in this case," Warrick said. "They are currently in custody with no bail."
The suspects were arrested in what Warrick described as a compound that was "close to a (marijuana) grow that was being formed but wasn't active yet." He added that the areas authorities were investigating were also adjacent to marijuana grows.
Authorities said they were unable to comment if the incident was cartel-related but believed it was related to illicit marijuana.
Contributing: Rene Ray De La Cruz, Victorville Daily Press; Anthony Robledo, USA TODAY
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
- New King Charles portrait vandalized at London gallery
- 12-year-old boy hospitalized after sand hole collapsed on him at Michigan park
- Top investigator in Karen Read murder case questioned over inappropriate texts
- Judge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial
- Baby and toddler among 6 family members shot dead at home in Mexico
- RTX, the world's largest aerospace and defense company, accused of age discrimination
- Special counsel David Weiss says Hunter Biden verdict about illegal choices, not addiction
- New Orleans mayor’s former bodyguard making first court appearance after July indictment
- Ukraine says its forces hit ultra-modern Russian stealth jet parked at air base hundreds of miles from the front lines
Ranking
- NCAA hits former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh with suspension, show-cause for recruiting violations
- RTX, the world's largest aerospace and defense company, accused of age discrimination
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Flip Side
- United States men's national soccer team friendly vs. Brazil: How to watch, rosters
- The Daily Money: Disney+ wants your dollars
- Raytheon discriminates against older job applicants, AARP alleges
- Gov. Jay Inslee says Washington will make clear that hospitals must provide emergency abortions
- National Amusements ends Paramount merger talks with Skydance Media
Recommendation
Tony Hawk drops in on Paris skateboarding and pushes for more styles of sport in LA 2028
Joey Chestnut will not compete at 2024 Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest
The internet's latest crush is charming – and confusing – all of TikTok. Leave him alone.
What is paralytic shellfish poisoning? What to know about FDA warning, how many are sick.
Clay Aiken's son Parker, 15, makes his TV debut, looks like his father's twin
Fire kills hundreds of caged animals, including puppies and birds, at famous market in Thailand
Bull that jumped the fence at Oregon rodeo to retire from competition, owner says
Officer uses Taser on fan who ran onto GABP field, did backflip at Reds-Guardians game