Current:Home > FinanceNew evidence emerges in Marilyn Manson case, Los Angeles DA says -Elevate Capital Network
New evidence emerges in Marilyn Manson case, Los Angeles DA says
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-07 03:49:50
New evidence has emerged as part of an investigation into Marilyn Manson, the controversial rock star who has been accused of sexual abuse by numerous women, according to prosecutors.
Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascón said Wednesday that prosecutors from his office's sex crimes division are "carefully reviewing new leads and additional evidence that continue to come to our attention" from a Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department investigation into Manson, whose real name is Brian Warner.
"New evidence has emerged within the last few weeks, adding to an already extensive case file presented to our office by the LASD," Gascón said. "It is our office's responsibility to ensure that we have a complete picture of the admissible evidence available before making a filing decision."
Gascón added that senior staff members have met with alleged victims, and "our prosecutors continue to remain in contact with the victims and their representatives throughout this process."
USA TODAY has reached out to Manson's attorney for comment. In a statement issued in 2021, the singer maintained, "My intimate relationships have always been entirely consensual with like-minded partners. Regardless of how — and why — others are now choosing to misrepresent the past, that is the truth."
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
A timeline of Marilyn Mansonabuse claims, including Evan Rachel Wood, Esmé Bianco
Manson has in recent years faced numerous allegations of abuse, which he has consistently denied. In February 2021, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department confirmed it was "investigating allegation(s) of domestic violence involving" the rocker and said the "incidents occurred between 2009 and 2011," when he lived in West Hollywood. Authorities searched Manson's home in November 2021.
By September 2022, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department turned over its 19-month sexual abuse investigation into Manson to Gascón for a decision on whether to bring charges, according to the Los Angeles Times. In the statement issued on Wednesday, Gascón said his office anticipates "making a filing decision soon."
Marilyn Mansoncompletes mandated Alcoholics Anonymous after blowing nose on videographer
Manson has been sued by numerous accusers, including "Game of Thrones" star Esmé Bianco, who alleged sexual assault. Manson and Bianco reached a settlement in 2023. A lawsuit brought by Manson's former personal assistant, Ashley Walters, alleging sexual assault is scheduled to go to trial in 2025, according to Rolling Stone. One accuser who sued the singer for sexual assault, Ashley Morgan Smithline, recanted her allegations last year.
"Westworld" star Evan Rachel Wood also came forward on Instagram in February 2021 to allege that Manson, her ex-fiancé, "started grooming me when I was a teenager and horrifically abused me for years." She discussed her allegations further in a 2022 HBO series, "Phoenix Rising." Before the documentary aired, Manson sued the actress for defamation. Portions of his lawsuit were dismissed last year.
veryGood! (99)
Related
- Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
- A ‘Trump Train’ convoy surrounded a Biden-Harris bus. Was it political violence?
- 'Rarefied air': Ganassi's Alex Palou wins third IndyCar title in four years
- In Honduras, Libertarians and Legal Claims Threaten to Bankrupt a Nation
- Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
- Chain gang member 'alert and responsive' after collapsing during Ravens vs. Raiders game
- Who plays on Sunday Night Football? Breaking down Week 2 matchup
- Washington State football's Jake Dickert emotional following Apple Cup win vs Washington
- USA women's basketball live updates at Olympics: Start time vs Nigeria, how to watch
- ‘Beetlejuice Beetlejuice’ is No. 1 again; conservative doc ‘Am I Racist’ cracks box office top 5
Ranking
- Messi injury update: Ankle 'better every day' but Inter Miami star yet to play Leagues Cup
- ‘The Life of Chuck’ wins the Toronto Film Festival’s People’s Choice Award
- Small Bay Area earthquake shakes San Jose Friday afternoon
- 3 dead, 2 injured in Arizona tractor-trailer crash
- Kehlani Responds to Hurtful Accusation She’s in a Cult
- Embattled Democratic senators steer clear of Kamala Harris buzz but hope it helps
- 2024 Emmys Fans Outraged After Shelley Duvall Left Out of In Memoriam Segment
- 2024 Emmys: Jennifer Aniston Debuts Shocking Fashion Switch Up on the Red Carpet
Recommendation
Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
Ahmaud Arbery’s family is still waiting for ex-prosecutor’s misconduct trial after 3 years
Montgomery schools superintendent to resign
Quinn Ewers injury update: Texas football QB enters locker room, Arch Manning steps in
Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
Man pleads no contest in 2019 sword deaths of father, stepmother in Pennsylvania home
CMA Awards snub Beyoncé, proving Black women are still unwelcome in country music
How Baby Reindeer's Richard Gadd Became the Star of the 2024 Emmys