Current:Home > MyPhilippine troops kill 9 suspected Muslim militants, including 2 involved in Sunday Mass bombing -Elevate Capital Network
Philippine troops kill 9 suspected Muslim militants, including 2 involved in Sunday Mass bombing
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-07 04:19:27
MANILA, Philippines (AP) — Philippine troops killed nine suspected Muslim militants in the volatile south, including two key suspects in a bomb attack last month that left four Christian worshippers dead, the army said Saturday.
Four army scout rangers were slightly wounded in Thursday’s operation against the Dawlah Islamiyah, a small outfit aligned with the Islamic State group, in the hinterland village of Taporug near Piagapo town in Lanao del Sur province, army spokesman Col. Louie Dema-ala said.
Army forces clashed with about 15 militants in a series of shootouts from Thursday to Friday after some villagers tipped off the military of their presence, Dema-ala, adding that the surviving militants escaped and were being pursued.
Maj. Gen. Gabriel Viray III, an army infantry division commander, said the militants retreated from fierce exchanges of fire until they were trapped in a rural house, where they tried to fight back before being taken down.
“We call upon the community to remain vigilant and collaborate with the army and government authorities as we collectively work towards eliminating the threat posed by local terrorist groups,” the army said in a statement.
Eight of the nine bodies had been identified, including those of Saumay Saiden and Abdul Hadi, who were among the suspects in the Dec. 3 bombing that killed four Christian worshippers and wounded dozens of others during Sunday Mass in a state-run university gymnasium in southern Marawi city, he added.
Hadi allegedly assembled the bomb, which police investigators said consisted of a 60 mm mortar round and a rifle grenade, Dema-ala told reporters.
A post-battle video, which a government intelligence official showed The Associated Press, conveyed nine bodies lying side by side near a huddle of rural huts surrounded by banana trees as army officers examined each.
Military chief of staff, Gen. Romeo Brawner, said “this operation sets a clear precedent: the Armed Forces of the Philippines will not tolerate those who endanger the lives and well-being of our people.”
“The remaining few will face our full force and unshakeable resolve in bringing every single responsible individual to account,” Brawner said.
The southern Philippine region of Mindanao is the homeland of minority Muslims and has been the scene of decades-old separatist rebellions.
The Marawi city bombing in December was the bloodiest insurgency-related violence so far under President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. He blamed “foreign terrorists” for the attack, which set off a security alarm, including in the capital, Manila. Government forces were put on high alert at the time, as the largely Roman Catholic country welcomed the busy Christmas season that marks a festive period of travel, shopping sprees and traffic jams.
The largest armed insurgent group, the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, signed a 2014 peace deal with the government, considerably easing decades of fighting. But smaller armed groups like the Dawlah Islamiyah rejected the peace pact and have struggled to press on with bombings and other attacks while evading government offensives.
veryGood! (581)
Related
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- The biggest takeaways and full winners from The Game Awards
- Man fatally shoots 11-year-old girl and wounds 2 others before shooting self, police say
- What to know about the Hall & Oates legal fight, and the business at stake behind all that music
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Dutch police arrest a Syrian accused of sexual violence and other crimes in Syria’s civil war
- 'Succession' star Alan Ruck sued for multi-car collision that ended in pizza shop crash
- Israel faces mounting calls for new cease-fire in war with Hamas from U.N. and Israeli hostage families
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Allies of Russian opposition leader Navalny post billboards asking citizens to vote against Putin
Ranking
- What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
- 'Succession' star Alan Ruck sued for multi-car collision that ended in pizza shop crash
- Von Miller declines to comment on domestic assault allegations after returning to Bills practice
- Lithium at California's Salton Sea could power millions of electric vehicles: Report
- Euphoria's Hunter Schafer Says Ex Dominic Fike Cheated on Her Before Breakup
- Maternal mortality rate is much higher for Black women than white women in Mississippi, study says
- LeBron James scores 30 points, Lakers rout Pelicans 133-89 to reach tournament final
- South Korea’s defense chief vows retaliatory strikes on ‘heart and head’ of North Korea if provoked
Recommendation
Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
Crowds line Dublin streets for funeral procession of The Pogues singer Shane MacGowan
Woman who threw food at Chipotle worker sentenced to work in fast food for 2 months
How Ian Somerhalder and Nikki Reed Built Their Life Away From Hollywood
Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
Menu signed by Mao Zedong brings a quarter million dollars at auction
He moved into his daughter’s dorm and acted like a cult leader. Abused students now suing college
CosMc's: McDonald's reveals locations for chain's new spinoff restaurant and menu