Current:Home > MyPhilippines' VP Sara Duterte a no -Elevate Capital Network
Philippines' VP Sara Duterte a no
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 09:56:30
MANILA — Philippine Vice-President Sara Duterte failed to appear on Dec 11 for questioning over a purported threat to assassinate President Ferdinand Marcos Jr, choosing instead to send a letter denying an allegation she made a "grave threat" to his life.
Duterte, an influential ally of Marcos until their acrimonious fallout earlier in 2024, was subpoenaed to appear before National Bureau of Investigation to explain remarks during a recent press conference, when she said she had hired a hit man to kill Marcos, his wife and the House of Representatives speaker, in the event that she herself were killed.
Duterte, the daughter of firebrand former President Rodrigo Duterte, has not detailed any specific threat to her life, while Marcos has described her remarks as "reckless and troubling".
The investigation comes as Duterte is the subject of impeachment complaints in the Lower House for alleged graft, incompetence and amassing ill-gotten wealth while in office, which she has denied.
Duterte said she did not expect a fair investigation, given what she called "biased pronouncements" from the president and a Justice Ministry official.
"We believe cases will be filed," she told reporters on Dec 10. "The worst-case scenario we see is removal from office, impeachment, and then piled-up cases which the lawyers already told me to expect as well."
The relationship between Marcos and Duterte has turned hostile in recent months, a stark contrast to two years ago, when their two powerful families joined forces to sweep a presidential election.
Riding on a wave of support at the tail end of her popular father's presidency, Duterte initially led opinion polls on preferred presidential candidates, but opted to run alongside Marcos rather than against him.
Marcos has said he does not support the impeachment efforts.
Following her failure to show for questioning, NBI Director Jaime Santiago on Dec 11 read a letter to media that he said was sent by Duterte's lawyers stating she "vehemently denies having made any threat" that could be classified as a "grave threat" under the law, or a violation of the country's anti-terrorism act.
Santiago assured Duterte a fair enquiry and said the subpoena for questioning would have been an opportunity for her to elaborate on the threats against her.
"It would have been easier had (the vice-president) appeared before us," he said.
Santiago said he would leave it to Duterte to decide whether to face investigators before they conclude their probe in January.
Duterte said threats against her had not been investigated, and she was unwilling to provide information because she did not trust the authorities.
"Right now seeing they are picking out words I said and making a case out of it saying it was a threat, they should start to ask where is this coming from," she said.
She added: "I am at peace at whatever happens to me."
[[nid:711865]]
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (752)
Related
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- WNBA not following the script and it makes league that much more entertaining
- Trial begins for Georgia woman accused of killing her toddler
- Cowboys' Jerry Jones gets testy in fiery radio interview: 'That's not your job'
- The GOP and Kansas’ Democratic governor ousted targeted lawmakers in the state’s primary
- Dozens of pro-Palestinian protesters arrested outside New York Stock Exchange
- More than 400 7-Eleven US stores to close by end of the year
- Ozzy Osbourne Makes Rare Public Appearance Amid Parkinson's Battle
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Texas edges Oregon for top spot in college football's NCAA Re-Rank 1-134
Ranking
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- The pandas are coming! The pandas are coming!
- Sean 'Diddy' Combs accused of sexually assaulting minor, multiple rapes in new civil suits
- Richard Allen on trial in Delphi Murders: What happened to Libby German and Abby Williams
- Golf's No. 1 Nelly Korda looking to regain her form – and her spot on the Olympic podium
- Bills land five-time Pro Bowl WR Amari Cooper in trade with Browns
- Detroit Lions agree to four-year, $97 million extension with defensive tackle Alim McNeill
- Florida returning to something like normal after Hurricane Milton
Recommendation
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
MLB playoffs averaging 3.33 million viewers through division series, an 18% increase over last year
New lawsuits accuse Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs of sexual assault against 6 people, including a minor
What college should I go to? Applicants avoid entire states because of their politics
Tony Hawk drops in on Paris skateboarding and pushes for more styles of sport in LA 2028
Florida returning to something like normal after Hurricane Milton
Poland’s leader defends his decision to suspend the right to asylum
Dolphins expect Tua Tagovailoa to play again in 2024. Here's what we know.