Current:Home > InvestMiami-Dade police officer charged with 3 felonies, third arrest from force in 6 weeks -Elevate Capital Network
Miami-Dade police officer charged with 3 felonies, third arrest from force in 6 weeks
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 03:14:54
A Miami-Dade police officer was charged Wednesday with armed sexual battery and other felony charges following a dispute with his ex-girlfriend.
According to a release from the Miami-Dade Police Department, Miguel Lomeli was arguing with his ex-girlfriend outside of her home. Police said the argument escalated, and she was taken inside and sexually assaulted.
Court records show he has been charged with armed sexual battery, kidnapping and armed burglary. He is being held in custody without bond. His attorney information was not immediately available.
“The allegations of misconduct by one of my officers is extremely troubling and immediate action has been taken to hold the officer accountable," MDPD director Stephanie V. Daniels said in the release. "The integrity of our police department is of the utmost importance, and we must continue to act with the highest of standards in order to safeguard the trust of all Miami-Dade County residents."
Lomeli is the third Miami-Dade police officer to face felony charges following domestic incidents in six weeks. In late October, a retired lieutenant was arrested on first degree attempted murder charges after a 14-hour armed stand-off with police, NBC 6 reported. A few days later, officer Daniel Ramos-Aviles was arrested and charged with the sexual abuse of three minor girls, USA TODAY previously reported.
More from MDPD:Director Freddy Ramirez awake after gunshot to head; offered resignation before shooting
Victim said Lomeli followed her home in marked police car and uniform with service weapon
An arrest warrant obtained by NBC 6 South Florida indicated the dispute between Lomeli and his ex-girlfriend started at a restaurant. He followed her home in his marked Miami-Dade Police vehicle while in uniform with his service weapon on him, according to the warrant.
The warrant said Lomeli dragged the victim by her hair into the residence and began hitting her head on the stairs when she struggled against him.
The warrant also said he used his handcuffs on the woman and proceeded to sexually assault her. She told police he fled the scene when she called to her 12-year-old son for help.
The warrant said Lomeli admitted to her allegations on a controlled call from the victim, NBC 6 reported.
veryGood! (26)
Related
- Golf's No. 1 Nelly Korda looking to regain her form – and her spot on the Olympic podium
- Russia and China push back against U.S. warnings over military and economic forays in the melting Arctic
- Measure aimed at repealing Alaska’s ranked voting system still qualifies for ballot, officials say
- Netanyahu looks to boost US support in speech to Congress, but faces protests and lawmaker boycotts
- Family of explorer who died in the Titan sub implosion seeks $50M-plus in wrongful death lawsuit
- Team USA Women's Basketball Showcase: Highlights from big US win over Germany
- All the Surprising Rules Put in Place for the 2024 Olympics
- WNBA All-Star Game has record 3.44 million viewers, the league’s 3rd most watched event ever
- Eva Mendes Shares Message of Gratitude to Olympics for Keeping Her and Ryan Gosling's Kids Private
- Karlie Kloss Makes Rare Comment About Taylor Swift After Attending Eras Tour
Ranking
- Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
- Last Sunday was the hottest day on Earth in all recorded history, European climate agency reports
- New owner nears purchase of Red Lobster after chain announced bankruptcy and closures
- Biles, Richardson, Osaka comebacks ‘bigger than them.’ They highlight issues facing Black women
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Arizona State Primary Elections Testing, Advisory
- IOC President Bach says Israeli-Palestinian athletes 'living in peaceful coexistence'
- Honolulu prosecutor’s push for a different kind of probation has failed to win over critics — so far
Recommendation
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Biden Administration Targets Domestic Emissions of Climate Super-Pollutant with Eye Towards U.S.-China Climate Agreement
Abortion rights supporters report having enough signatures to qualify for Montana ballot
Darren Walker’s Ford Foundation legacy reached far beyond its walls
$73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
Coco Gauff to be female flag bearer for US team at Olympic opening ceremony, joining LeBron James
What Each Zodiac Sign Needs for Leo Season, According to Your Horoscope
Honolulu prosecutor’s push for a different kind of probation has failed to win over critics — so far