Current:Home > ContactBureau of Prisons to close California women’s prison where inmates have been subjected to sex abuse -Elevate Capital Network
Bureau of Prisons to close California women’s prison where inmates have been subjected to sex abuse
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-07 02:07:25
The federal Bureau of Prisons said Monday it is planning to close a women’s prison in California known as the “rape club” despite attempts to reform the troubled facility after an Associated Press investigation exposed rampant staff-on-inmate sexual abuse.
Bureau of Prisons Director Colette Peters said in a statement to the AP that the agency had “taken unprecedented steps and provided a tremendous amount of resources to address culture, recruitment and retention, aging infrastructure - and most critical - employee misconduct.”
“Despite these steps and resources, we have determined that FCI Dublin is not meeting expected standards and that the best course of action is to close the facility,” Peters said. “This decision is being made after ongoing evaluation of the effectiveness of those unprecedented steps and additional resources.”
FCI Dublin, about 21 miles (34 kilometers) east of Oakland, is one of six women-only federal prisons, and the only one west of the Rocky Mountains. It currently has 605 inmates — 504 inmates in its main prison and another 101 at an adjacent minimum-security camp. That’s down from a total of 760 prisoners in February 2022. The women currently housed at the prison will be transferred to other facilities and no employees will lose their jobs, Peters said.
Advocates have called for inmates to be freed from FCI Dublin, which they say is not only plagued by sexual abuse, but also has hazardous mold, asbestos and inadequate health care.
Last month, the FBI again searched the prison and the Bureau of Prisons again shook up its leadership after a warden sent to help rehabilitate the facility was accused of retaliating against a whistleblower inmate. Days later, a federal judge overseeing lawsuits against the prison, said she would appoint a special master to oversee the facility’s operations.
An AP investigation in 2021 found a culture of abuse and cover-ups that had persisted for years at the prison. That reporting led to increased scrutiny from Congress and pledges from the Bureau of Prisons that it would fix problems and change the culture at the prison.
Since 2021, at least eight FCI Dublin employees have been charged with sexually abusing inmates. Five have pleaded guilty. Two were convicted at trial, including the former warden, Ray Garcia. Another case is pending.
Last August, eight FCI Dublin inmates sued the Bureau of Prisons, alleging the agency had failed to root out sexual abuse. Amaris Montes, a lawyer for the plaintiffs, said inmates continued to face retaliation for reporting abuse, including being put in solitary confinement and having belongings confiscated.
All sexual activity between a prison worker and an inmate is illegal. Correctional employees have substantial power over inmates, controlling every aspect of their lives from mealtime to lights out, and there is no scenario in which an inmate can give consent.
__
Follow Sisak at x.com/mikesisak and Balsamo at x.com/MikeBalsamo1 and send confidential tips by visiting https://www.ap.org/tips/.
veryGood! (41988)
Related
- 'Most Whopper
- RNC Day 4: Trump to accept GOP presidential nomination as assassination attempt looms over speech
- Online account thought to belong to Trump shooter was fake, source says
- When a Retired Scientist Suggested Virginia Weaken Wetlands Protections, the State Said, No Way
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- 2024 British Open tee times: When second round begins for golf's final major of 2024
- Espionage trial of US journalist Evan Gershkovich in Russia reaches closing arguments
- Some GOP voters welcome Trump’s somewhat softened tone at Republican National Convention
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Man who escaped from Oregon prison 30 years ago found in Georgia using dead child's identity, officials say
Ranking
- Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
- Dubai Princess Blasts Husband With “Other Companions” in Breakup Announcement
- Flight Attendant Helps Deliver Baby the Size of Her Hand in Airplane Bathroom
- Migrant crossings continue to plunge, nearing the level that would lift Biden's border crackdown
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Vermont police now say woman’s disappearance is suspicious
- Housing provider for unaccompanied migrant children engaged in sexual abuse and harassment, DOJ says
- Dive teams recover bodies of 2 men who jumped off a boat into a Connecticut lake on Monday night
Recommendation
Hidden Home Gems From Kohl's That Will Give Your Space a Stylish Refresh for Less
Lou Dobbs, conservative pundit and longtime cable TV host for Fox Business and CNN, dies at 78
Georgia man arraigned on charges of threatening FBI Director Christopher Wray, authorities say
Housing provider for unaccompanied migrant children engaged in sexual abuse and harassment, DOJ says
'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
Massachusetts lawmakers call on the Pentagon to ground the Osprey again until crash causes are fixed
2024 British Open tee times: When second round begins for golf's final major of 2024
The Book Report: Washington Post critic Ron Charles (July 14)